Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inspection rings

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Do inspection rings mess with the airflow and effectiveness of the wing?  Can you put them on top of the wing?  I think JimChuck said somewhere a soldering iron for drain holes. Do they require anything else or just burn them in?

Posted (edited)

Inspection rings are just for inspection, and there really isn't a lot to inspect in the wing.  I think I put one where I could see the lift strut brackets on each side, plus a couple if I ever had to change out the pitot line, plus one on each end.  I put them on the bottom, and never cut any of them out, but can if I have to.  No reason I can see to put them on the top.  I did also burn 1/8" holes with a small soldering gun back at the ends of the ribs on the bottom of the wing once at least.  Don't remember if I did them on the last Avid rebuild or not.  There are also seaplane grommets you can use on the bottom areas to get rid of any water instead of the burned holes.  The reason for burning the holes, is you actually melt the fabric, and it wont ravel like it maybe would if you cut it.  JImChuk

PS  I reread my post, and should have said that you may be able to do a bit of work through an inspection hole, but it's not going to be easy working though one of those holes.  

Image result for seaplane grommets

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you