Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 532UL Charging Watts

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all, I am looking to add a fairly simplistic electrical system to charge some small devices and EFIS instruments I am developing with Raspberry Pi small computers. These do not require an much power, but I need to install a small 12v battery. I was hoping to get away with something a like a 12v 7AH battery, just to keep weight low, but I do not know how much charging capacity the Rotax532UL stator has. Everything I find online references the AC side of things, but I do not know what the regulator can dish out to the battery. Otherwise, all my gear will just use up the juice in the battery and nothing is getting put back in... So I need to figure out how much is going in, so I can manage the power use effectively...

Anyone know the answer to this? I know the 582 has a larger regulator than the 532, so I really need to know before I add an EFIS instrument 5v 2-1/2amps, charging system for the handheld ICOM radio, electronic ACI stall warning system (12v - 1amp or less), GPS (5v 2-1/2amp). I may install LED Wig Wag lights, but again that will be a very small electrical load. All these things together though, thats what I'm thinking about this for.

I know these 532's were on Snowmobiles, and those snowmobile's had, hand and seat warmers, but again that was coming from the battery - whether is was ever going back into the battery via the rotax stator / regulator who knows, but sleds do have sometimes a fair load on them

I can't find the numbers to help me out, so thats why I'm posting here...

Posted

I just googled it and found an article in the proper care and feeding of your Rotax engine by Mike Stratman.  Article #33  MIKE SAYS THAT the lighting coil puts out 110 watts, the charging coil puts out 30 watts.

Posted

wow - 30 watts... LOL at 12v thats 2.5 amps - not much more than a trickle charger....

Posted (edited)

Oops

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Here is the article I referred to. It also shows how to wire up the system with or without a battery.  JImChuk

477 electrical output (3).pdf

Posted

Oops I misread the post thought we were talking about the 582.

Posted (edited)

16 amps going thru a Key West regulator.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

Check this Rotax Installation manual out, page 18-4 and 18-5:  https://m.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/d00287.pdf

Basically 170 watts at 6000 rpm, or a 16 amp fuse at 12 V DC. The rectifier is very efficient, so AC Watts = DC Watts

Posted

I believe that manual is for later engines then the 532 points ignition engine.

1 person likes this

Posted

I believe that manual is for later engines then the 532 points ignition engine.

This source says 140 W for the 532:

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/rotax532/10.html