Gear repair picture needed

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Group, I have been asked to repair this landing gear. The previous owner cut the upper cross tube and ends off. The front gear attachment is 32 7/8 center bolt to center bolt. I will have to make up a mounting tabs and weld in a new upper cross tube. The current mounting tabs on the plane are 2" wide. The main gear tube is 3/4" OD. Does someone have a picture or be able to take me a picture of the end that connects to the plane so I can get an idea on how the tab transitions into the 3/4" tube?

gear.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks alot like the gear i bought from Stace Schrader, the main difference being that your gear has braces where the bungee wraps around and my cabane doesn't have the cross tube. I'll measure the distance across the top of the cabane when i get home from work, although mine is for a KF1 which might be narrower than yours. 

20181117_100605.thumb.jpg.9586a58d5f9614cfabc38c4e141a9aae.jpg

Edited by Willja67

Posted

Looks alot like the gear i bought from Stace Schrader, the main difference being that your gear has braces where the bungee wraps around and my cabane doesn't have the cross tube. I'll measure the distance across the top of the cabane when i get home from work, although mine is for a KF1 which might be narrower than yours. 

20181117_100605.thumb.jpg.9586a58d5f9614cfabc38c4e141a9aae.jpg

Thank you Willja67. Is there a chance of getting a close up of those end brackets and how they fit together?

Posted

Willja,  might be a good idea to add a crosstube at the top of the cabana V.  That will help to reduce the inward pull of the cabane in a hard landing perhaps.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Do these help? The bracket shown is the forward bracket the gear leg mounts outboard and the cabane on the inboard hole.  The end of the tape is at the peak of the tubes. Center to center on the cabane mounting holes is 31".

20190304_201133.jpg

20190304_201831.jpg

20190304_202431.jpg

Edited by Willja67

Posted

I assume the cabane ends fit the inside of the brackets tightly. I also wonder what the intent of the flat face portion of the bracket is for (rigidity?) and if it faces outward or inward when installed. Are the brackets 2' inside. 

Posted

The flat face portion faces outboard and is used to locate the bracket. Just push it tight against the longeron, and probably adds a little strength when you weld it to the longeron.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you. Someone else mentioned that Stace had you weld the mounts on. I like that idea. 

Posted

Those are the same style of mount that I used on my gear for the cabane, works great and welding required.  Much stronger than the HighWing setup which requires no welding.