Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox Flying to Fiber Optic Airstrip California

9 posts in this topic

Posted

An afternoon trip to the Berryessa Mountains and the Fiber Optic airstrip (a meadow at 1,800').

The meadow is site of an old homestead. Not much remains - remnants of farm equipment from about the 1880's.

Cheers!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello

Where does the name "fiber optic airstrip" come from?

Posted

very cool nice and peaceful country side there.

Posted

Very nice video, as well as the other two you posted. JImChuk

Posted

NICE!  And here you are with the standard bungee gear.  And playing with the high dollar aircraft boys. In a Kitfox model 2 of all things. Makes me smile, watching video's like this. Thanks!

Posted

Hello

Where does the name "fiber optic airstrip" come from?

There's a Fiber Optic Cable buried there.

Posted

NICE!  And here you are with the standard bungee gear.  And playing with the high dollar aircraft boys. In a Kitfox model 2 of all things. Makes me smile, watching video's like this. Thanks!

I'm a LOT lighter at 500lbs in the 582 Model II, so a lot less weight to suspend and bounce over rocks.

There's really no need for the Monster Shock and 31" tires for more than 99% of the places we  land off airport - but that 1% does really worry me.

Also, I'm a lot slower at 75mph cruise.  I leave early, get there late, and really only go on the shorter trips.  

I learned in ultralights in the 80's.  Back then the Rotax had points, not CDI - which made it very unreliable.  That distrust hasn't left me but its been perfect for over 100hrs.

Cheers

1 person likes this

Posted

But I would guess that you're having just as much fun as the other guys and more money in your pocket.  Still, to me, you just proved that a good old model 2 can do what the others can 99% of the time. Getting there quicker isn't as important as just being able to fly there. A little distrust keeps us on our toes and makes us keep an eye on things. Video's like that are inspirational for those that don't have 10K to spend on all the goodies. Still, thanks for posting it!

Posted

But I would guess that you're having just as much fun as the other guys and more money in your pocket.  Still, to me, you just proved that a good old model 2 can do what the others can 99% of the time. Getting there quicker isn't as important as just being able to fly there. A little distrust keeps us on our toes and makes us keep an eye on things. Video's like that are inspirational for those that don't have 10K to spend on all the goodies. Still, thanks for posting it!

And to further your delight, I had to replace the tires last week as the 20x7-8 originals are really cracking.   I almost went with the $550 27x10-8 Matco's, but ended up replacing the them with $40 21x12-8 Nanco's - and love them so far.  Very cushy.

Have to admit though, the Matco's look great.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TIRE27X108AC4PR-idv-3877-38.html