Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hello

7 posts in this topic

Posted

hello, i'm from france and starting the build of an AVID C No691 never built, it is a speed wing that i want to extend. I planed a long time project and while i'm building it, i will have fun in my single seat ultralight biplane...

I see lot of good infos here and now photos that will help me a lot.

Sorry for my writting surely no perfect

:beerchug:

Posted

hello, i'm from france and starting the build of an AVID C No691 never built, it is a speed wing that i want to extend. I planed a long time project and while i'm building it, i will have fun in my single seat ultralight biplane...

I see lot of good infos here and now photos that will help me a lot.

Sorry for my writting surely no perfect

:beerchug:

Good luck on your project,make sure and post pictures along the way.Theres a wealth of information on this forum,you can learn from everybody elses mistakes.Dont have to apologize for your writing,ours is not any better and we live here.Randy

Posted

Welcome aboard! Like Randy said, dont worry about your writing, and post up pics along the way! Never hesitate to ask a question about the build either, we have a pretty good knowledge base here.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks a lot ;)

so i beging with pics:

My little prototype plane, wood made and powered with a MZ 201 40hp.

And the avid ready to build, with new coating made by a little aero factory.

(you can see in the background a damaged avid)

post-192-1286317943406_thumb.jpg

post-192-12863181689047_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks a lot wink.gif

so i beging with pics:

My little prototype plane, wood made and powered with a MZ 201 40hp.

And the avid ready to build, with new coating made by a little aero factory.

(you can see in the background a damaged avid)

The lil bipe looks intersting! Is that your design? I have been toying with an idea of scaling up a model airplane that has been around forever and making it a true 4 place aircraft. If the real one would fly half as good as the model does, it would be one hell of a performer!

Posted

The lil bipe looks intersting! Is that your design? I have been toying with an idea of scaling up a model airplane that has been around forever and making it a true 4 place aircraft. If the real one would fly half as good as the model does, it would be one hell of a performer!

yes it is my own design, this project is kind of pionnier feeling, i made the drawing and technical choices aprouved by an old engineer who make aircrafts since the fourties.

I made tests flights, and have a little story to tell about that and how sometimes things can be simple to resolve :

the plane was very pleasant in the air but the ailerons were very heavy to handle, at the point that rolling more than 30° was scaring and i was wondering if i would be able to recover. One day with hot tubulence, i realy frightened and get to a safe landing after several tries... :flush:

:news: I was thinking about the control linkage to re-make totaly, but before entering in hard rebuild i phoned to the engineer: He told me "Me 109 protoype had same prob. It was because trailing edge was way to slim, and air couldn't separate creating a sort of glue so they add metal edge all long the trailing edge" hum hum so i tried something : I've put window tape on the under side of trailing edge of aileron to make it thicker and closed the gap between aileron and wing with an other tape... and go for the test:

incredible the effect 2 pieces of tape could change aerodynamics, now aileron are very reactive and i can roll holding the stick with 2 fingers.

:)

Posted

yes it is my own design, this project is kind of pionnier feeling, i made the drawing and technical choices aprouved by an old engineer who make aircrafts since the fourties.

I made tests flights, and have a little story to tell about that and how sometimes things can be simple to resolve :

the plane was very pleasant in the air but the ailerons were very heavy to handle, at the point that rolling more than 30° was scaring and i was wondering if i would be able to recover. One day with hot tubulence, i realy frightened and get to a safe landing after several tries... flush.gif

news.gif I was thinking about the control linkage to re-make totaly, but before entering in hard rebuild i phoned to the engineer: He told me "Me 109 protoype had same prob. It was because trailing edge was way to slim, and air couldn't separate creating a sort of glue so they add metal edge all long the trailing edge" hum hum so i tried something : I've put window tape on the under side of trailing edge of aileron to make it thicker and closed the gap between aileron and wing with an other tape... and go for the test:

incredible the effect 2 pieces of tape could change aerodynamics, now aileron are very reactive and i can roll holding the stick with 2 fingers.

smile.gif

That is pretty damn impressive that a few strips of tape would make that much difference! I know that on my lage scale RC models, it takes about 1/3 the aileron movement to get the roll rate I want when I seal the hinge lines. It would be intersting to see which of the two did the most good for you, sealing the hinge line, or making the trailing edge thicker :dunno: