Snowplay

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Yepp, time for another film from Fred... (safe for viewing at work)

10 people like this

Posted

Such a fun camera I really like that thing. It looks like they groom that runway just for you guys.

1 person likes this

Posted

You are definitely a member of the "BN" society. A secret club for mountain pilots. Hat's off to you!

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice Fred.  Makes me want to get the plane out of the hangar and try out the skis again today.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

You are definitely a member of the "BN" society. A secret club for mountain pilots. Hat's off to you!

And as a member of this secret society... am I allowed to know what "BN" stands for, or is that the next level ?

Posted

Such a fun camera I really like that thing. It looks like they groom that runway just for you guys.

they have been working on that glacier landing spot a long time... about 7000 years, it is getting pretty good...

Posted (edited)

And as a member of this secret society... am I allowed to know what "BN" stands for, or is that the next level ?

For someone that flys in the mountains and a tail dragger pilot, Its a informal club known as "The Brass Nuts Society". One only gets to join by experience. Been around since about 1914. Believe it was started in France by the Lafayette Escadrille.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

Brass Nuts I like that.

Posted

Brass Nuts I like that.

It's great, I feel very honored! Must be a very secret society indeed, I'm not finding anything on the web where it is even mentioned...

Posted (edited)

Brass Nuts I like that.

It's great, I feel very honored! Must be a very secret society indeed, I'm not finding anything on the web where it is even mentioned...

You won't find anything on the web about it, most members are unaware of what a web is, except for that one in their head. Highly secretive and selective!  Seems you made the grade!!  Only benefits are being able to walk a little taller and smile a little brighter when you walk away from the plane.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

That's too cool, land, grab your skis and enjoy the slops. Thanks for sharing, it's a great video.

1 person likes this

Posted

I love it......could you give us an idea how long the editing work took you?? Do you need a particularly powerful computer??

Thanks

Genial, salutations Laurent

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred,

I have subscribed to your channel recently. I really enjoy your style of videos. Keep up the great work, it is inspirational!

Brooks

1 person likes this

Posted

I love it......could you give us an idea how long the editing work took you?? Do you need a particularly powerful computer??

Thanks

Genial, salutations Laurent

Laurent, 

well, the post production workflow is very cumbersome for 360 footage... The files are massive, people are talking about the size of 4k, this is 5.7k... every minute is 800mb and generate 2 files that need to be stitched in a software that comes with the camera. The same software can also re-frame the footage, i.e. select what part of the image you will use and then export that sequence in a flat "2D" format so you can integrate it with other normal footage like I have done in this film. You the take this and the other footage and process it normally in your preferred NLE. Then you realize that the re-framed sequence need to be a little different to really fit the narration, so you go back and start over again. Several times. How long? My wife would say "for ever"...

The re-framed footage is in 1080 resolution so it will work with whatever you are already successfully editing with. You might want to use proxy files. I'm doing this on a descent, but far from extreme, gaming laptop. 

There is a plugin available (still in beta test) for both Adobe and DaVinci Resolve. It is more advanced for Adobe at the moment and very basic for DaVinci. It allows you to, once the footage is stitched, to do the re-framing directly in your NLE avoiding the back and forth.

However, my guess is that many 360 cameras will end up in a drawer once the initial joy over tiny planets and rabbit holes have settled - it takes a lot of or work to get something nice to watch and the workflow will always be cumbersome. Very short, single scene films, can be done directly on a better smartphone but other than that you need to like the post production part. 

I would put it this way, it should never be the first action cam you get. If you don't already have, say, at least 2 GoPro type cameras in use when filming a 360 will not be of much use.

Regards

Fred

2 people like this

Posted

Wow. Fred, you are an amazingly talented artist, thanks for sharing it with us!

1 person likes this

Posted

You can stop clicking on it now guys... 5000 views in 5 days... most of my films never get that many views!

SnowPlay_5_days_circled.thumb.JPG.c37894

1 person likes this

Posted

That is so cool Fred! The beauty of the country, the fly-in skiing and glacier landing strip, and your filming and editing is amazing!  keep it up!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Really beautiful

Country, flights and video as well. Simply excellent

All your videos are interesting and let say "good work and processing" but this one is really top, sort of professional piece.

Edited by Jenki
1 person likes this

Posted

I see your video up on Barnstormers, you are becoming a famous videographer with good reason Fred, nicely done.

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred, Trent Palmer just stole your idea using the exact same setup! I hope you have the patent pending so you can collect your royalties.

2 people like this

Posted

Fred, Trent Palmer just stole your idea using the exact same setup! I hope you have the patent pending so you can collect your royalties.  

Feels pretty good to have inspired Trent... And I have a strong belief in the power of sharing ideas.

Posted (edited)

And time for yet another film - not a typical "FRED STORK FILM" but a really nice envent I wanted to share:

Edited by FredStork
4 people like this

Posted

What a way to enjoy the day!

Posted

Great!