Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brakes

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally figured out what brakes are on my Fox that I am reconditioning. They are Enginetics brakes now owned by a company in Dayton Ohio. Evidently for racing go-karts and according to the website, parts are still available. Probably not for mine though. They worked good when I took them off for rebuild, they would hold the Sub motor at 50% throttle and slide the tires. I plan to reuse them if possible, no sense in buying high dollar brakes if I don't need to. About the only things to replace are the pads, lines, and O rings.

Posted

Thought that sounded familiar

Back in high school at nights I worked for Legend Racing Chassis  building go cart frames.  Pretty sure that's what we installed.

You may need to run a special purple brake fluid in those.

Posted

They had 5606 fluid in them when I took them off, but I can't find any diagram of the caliper or piston disassembly. From all that I can find they do require a different fluid than 5606 but evidently it works just fine. Hopefully I can figure them out and rebuild them. Hate to trash can them. They are using Matco M-5 master cyl's so it must be a Heinz system. Never seen this type setup before.

Posted

The company is now called Uncle Franks Racing. They may have what you need good luck.

http://ufranks.com/cart/

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

I disassembled the calipers today, cleaned everything, seals in good shape, and put everything back together. Should be good to go. Now for the fun and exciting part, wrapping the bungees without getting killed!

Posted

. Now for the fun and exciting part, wrapping the bungees without getting killed!

Check out the link below.  I did it by myself, so if you can find a partner for a bit, it will be easy if you use the hammer handle.  This doesn't work on an Avid though.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4316-i-did-it-by-myself-bungees/#comment-35886

Posted

Thanks for waking my relapse in memory. I remember the handle trick from 30 yrs ago on the model 4. I did watch the video again. Don't remember where I learned the handle trick 30 years ago since youtube didn't exist back then, well, the internet wasn't even up and running. How did we ever build aircraft without youtube? AW, now I remember, they hid information like that in books and other printed material. Geeish, I'm getting old.