2 stroke oil source

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm trying to find a good inexpensive source for 2 stroke oil. I'm currently using Quicksilver PWC Full Synthetic and since I'm not burning AVGas I'm inclined to keep using it. I found Wholesale Marine selling it at $34.44 a gallon which is close to seven dollars cheaper than my local Wal-Mart. Here's a link to the website https://www.wholesalemarine.com/quicksilver-full-synthetic-pwc-oil-92-8m0058908.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTfKEFcSrY0PXPPZ-hQirlZpW377Ad2Kq0yyyyJpwQi0aOXFde_u2sRoCDPoQAvD_BwE.  If I buy 3 gallons I can get free shipping and all total it'll equal around $.75 / gallon mixing it 50:1 in my fuel.

So where and how have you all been getting your oil? Have any good sources, is there anything cheaper out there?

Posted

I use Amsoil Interceptor. Try your Coastal Farm and Ranch. 

Posted

I use Amzoil Interceptor. I pay for a distributor account and get a discount. I can always drop ship you some too if you are interested. My cost of course.  I am going to have to make an order here soon myself. I buy a case at a time (4 gallons per case). After looking at my cylinders over the winter and the fact that it makes far less mess on the plane because its clear I wont go back to the QS. I have nothing against QS and still run it in my Jet skis just like the Amzoil better for the plane. :)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Since on the discussion of 2stroke oil, ive been useing Lucas semi synthetic oil, $39.99 per gallon, have been having good results so far, and dont seem make a mess on bottom of plane, anyone have good or bad info on it?

On my sleds ive always used Amzoil Interceptor, but it is hard to get here sometimes, and expensive, and i dont like mixing brands together if can help it

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Nobody has any info or comment on Lucas 2stroke oil??

Posted (edited)

Mystik synthetic blend available near me low cost at farm supply stores and maybe Walmart.

I use an air cooled variety:  https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/SNOWMOBILE_EO/663092002   $21/gal

They make a blend (and a full synthetic) for water cooled as well:  https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/663084002  $27/gal

See the FAQ > small engine oils section (https://www.mystiklubes.com/expert.jsp) for discussion about applicability to Rotax engines and with variable exhaust valve engines.

Edited by Gunderson
1 person likes this

Posted

Oil is a delicate subject.

These engines are supposed to use a low ash API TC rated oil because of the high temps and loads. I successfully used Chevron TCW3 ashless oil in my 582s for over 1200 hours. I bought it in 5 gallon buckets from the local Chevron distributor for a reasonable price and still use the many empty 5 gal buckets for all kinds of different things. :-)  

Before using the oil I asked Chevron to provide data on the oil and they provided it happily. There was a ton of stuff I did not understand on the spec sheet but it did say designed to comply with API TC requirements even tho it was a TCW3 oil. I was impressed with the data Chevron did provide which helped convince me to use it even tho I did not understand what a lot of the specs met. 

It worked well for me. I always had real clean tear downs, and I did all tear downs and overhauls myself, except for boring the cylinders to match new pistons at overhaul intervals. So I saw the insides of my engines every time they were taken apart for routine maintenance or overhaul, and that was a lot of times.

I have seen for myself that this less expensive oil works and I never had an engine out or damage from the oil.

I think the fancy advanced oils are probably better. Maybe a lot better. Oil chemistry is a field all its own and I am not a subject matter expert. But oil was a significant portion of the cost of a tank of gas and I was flying a fair amount at the time, around 200 hours a year. So I was trying to keep costs down. I think using the Chevron oil helped achieve that goal and it did not let me down. If I were running a completely air cooled engine like the 503 I might have a different opinion, but for the water cooled 582, it worked fine.

2 people like this

Posted

When I drove a Rotax 582 I used NEO Synthetic oil produced here in Long Beach California.

It cost twice as much as Penzoil oil, but at 100:1 ratio I used half as much oil. 

This gave more power since the mix is more gas and less oil.

When I took my engine in for a top overhaul at 500-600 hours my mechanic was amazed at how clean the pistons were and became a dealer.

John M