26" Ultralight Bushwheel

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Morning Friends,

I am considering purchasing the 26" ultralight bushwheel for my Avid C.  they weigh 9.5 lbs less (each tire) than my existing 26" Alaskan bushwheel.  So my total weight savings would be 19 lbs.  Do any of you have feedback on this particular tire?  Below is a link with more information about tire.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/26-Ultralight-Alaskan-Bushwheels-p/26126.r2.htm

Posted

Ouch!! Spendy little suckers. Damn good looking tire though. 

Posted

I recall Trent Palmer discussing in his videos last year (possibly the year before?) he and/or his cohorts had significant number of flats and they were moving the other direction. Perhaps the Alaska vegetation wouldn't be as hard on them???

1 person likes this

Posted

Alaska prolly doesn't have goatheads

1 person likes this

Posted

Desser makes some tundra tires don't they? Will they fit our 6" rims?

Posted

The 27” Desser tires are for 8” wheels. 

This is not the only time I have heard the 26” ultralight tires are prone to damage.  I think it depends greatly on how heavy your plane is.  If you have a 4-500 pound light plane you’d probably be okay.  More than that, I would say go with the Airstreaks.  If you have one of the fat-assed late model 900 pound planes, the “standard” heavy carcass tire would be better. 

Posted

Wish Desser made it in a 27" tundra with a 6" wheel, (id have a set asap) but they say with a 6" wheel on thier 27" there is to much sidewall flex for a tire that light and that size. Which is too bad:( 

I think they wouldnt b able make enough for the demad they would have, (if they did make them) long as they where, light, reasonable priced,  they may have to make them for 6 months straight b4 they start sell on the market just so they start ahead of the game.  Hahahahaaaa.

how about making a wheel adaptor like gar-aero made for 6" to 10" but for 6" to 8"?