582 VS 912S

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello I am new to this group but have an Avid MKIV with blue head 582 and was thinking of converting over to the 912S. Has anyone on this site done that and how does the plane handle with the heavier engine? does the stall change and if so what is the thoughts of doing this? Thanks Lonnie

Posted

There are two guys in my EAA chapter that have gone from 582s to 912 engines. One in a Mark IV Avid the other in an early Kitfox IV. They both have the UL, 80 hp engines though.

I can't give performance numbers, but they have both said many times that they don't regret the change and that both are not interested in the 100 hp engine. 80 has proven to be more than enough power and the Avid driver has a hard time staying below Vne (with an IVO IFA prop) in cruise.

Posted

Wow I didnt think of VNE but it would be nice to have to pull back to half throttle and save all that fuel but be able to go straight up almost. I really think the power on short strips would be awesome.

Posted

If anyone has performace numbers could they please post with avid 912 80HP? THanks

Posted

If anyone has performace numbers could they please post with avid 912 80HP? THanks

While I dont have an performance numbers for you, I would say that if you have the ability to put the 912 in the nose, do so and you will not be dissapointed! I would love to have one in mine, but I just cant justify the $$ for it right now... Perhaps once the big "D" is finalized and I know how long I will be in the poor house I can start planning for a future upgrade, but for now, I am happy with my 582 on wheels, but I really do want more power for floats next spring! The adapter plate should be machined and ready for me next time home so I can get back to work on the 800 conversion... Fuel injected 125-140 HP at the same weight as the 582 should be a hoot!

:BC:

Posted

While I dont have an performance numbers for you, I would say that if you have the ability to put the 912 in the nose, do so and you will not be dissapointed! I would love to have one in mine, but I just cant justify the $$ for it right now... Perhaps once the big "D" is finalized and I know how long I will be in the poor house I can start planning for a future upgrade, but for now, I am happy with my 582 on wheels, but I really do want more power for floats next spring! The adapter plate should be machined and ready for me next time home so I can get back to work on the 800 conversion... Fuel injected 125-140 HP at the same weight as the 582 should be a hoot!

That 800 will eat up a 912,might even be fuel fairly efficient with the fuel injection.I always like to see new combinations,if somebody doesnt try it then it never gets done.Randy

Posted

That 800 will eat up a 912,might even be fuel fairly efficient with the fuel injection.I always like to see new combinations,if somebody doesnt try it then it never gets done.Randy

I am willing to bet that my fuel burn will be less with the 800 than what I am getting now with the 582. I know that riding side by side with my 06 600 crossfire and a buddies 08 800 he out did me pretty good between tanks. More than once, I had to use my extra 2.5 gallons as well as his to get back to the parking lot. I am hoping to get this on a test stand and ran with the gear box and prop while I am off next hitch. 3 weeks should be plenty of time for me to get it on the stand if all goes according to plan :lol: <yeah, like that has worked out so far for me...

Last week was the first time in a year that I had flown my plane on wheels.... Man, that lit the fire under me to get on this 800 conversion. I want the performance I have on wheels, when I am on floats! I forgot what 1200+ FPM climb was like :lol: