Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Helmet cameras

6 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the best helmet camera for taking inflight video's?

Posted

What is the best helmet camera for taking inflight video's?

Go Pro HD Hero....Super impressive

http://www.goprocamera.com/

Posted

Go Pro HD Hero....Super impressive

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I will second the Gopro! I have one and love it, however... It does have its draw backs. As with any CMOS camera, it does not like shooting through the prop arc. You get nice squigly lines in the shot. I have mounted mine on the wing strut and the float spreader bar to get away from the prop disc. I got some great video snowmachining and boating with it as well. I have not put the boating vids up on you tube yet, but I should get some time to edit and post them up here pretty quick so you can see the quality of the vids.

The one major draw back to the gopro, is not having a screen on board to be able to view your pics or vids. You have to plug into a computer to watch them. Not that big of a deal as long as you get a big enough video card and just let it run the whole trip. Spring for the good 32 gig card, and make sure it is high speed or it wont capture right and you will have dropped frames.

:BC:

Posted

I will second the Gopro! I have one and love it, however... It does have its draw backs. As with any CMOS camera, it does not like shooting through the prop arc. You get nice squigly lines in the shot. I have mounted mine on the wing strut and the float spreader bar to get away from the prop disc. I got some great video snowmachining and boating with it as well. I have not put the boating vids up on you tube yet, but I should get some time to edit and post them up here pretty quick so you can see the quality of the vids.

The one major draw back to the gopro, is not having a screen on board to be able to view your pics or vids. You have to plug into a computer to watch them. Not that big of a deal as long as you get a big enough video card and just let it run the whole trip. Spring for the good 32 gig card, and make sure it is high speed or it wont capture right and you will have dropped frames.

I heard they eat batteries real fast. What program do you edit with?

Bandit

Posted

I heard they eat batteries real fast. What program do you edit with?

Bandit

The battery will last for 4 or more hours. And you can recharge from a cell phone charger. I put a 12 volt accessory outlet in mine so I can recharge.

I use Pinnacle Studio and I think I am at version 12 now... I'm glad you replied, now I will get of my butt and get a quick boat video edited that I took with it.

Posted

Just a quick clip to show the vid quality. This is in the water proof housing with the wide angle lens. I will work on some quick clips from the snowmachine also to show it on day and night rides.

This was in a 24' Hydrasport running 35-40 MPH in steady 3' seas with the occasional 4'er showing up. Would have been a much drier ride without the 20 knot cross wind tossing all the spray back on me :lol: