Talk to me Goose

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Talk to me goose!
 FINALLY! After over a month of waiting and anticipating my N146AF and custom enclosed trailer is home. Getting it registered, are worthy, and all of that hoopla starts. I'm excited but I also have a couple of concerns. After a close inspection looks like I might have to reinforce an aileron bracket on the inside of the wing. Little pieces of fabric need to be tightened up I guess? Fixed the kind of torn a little. Nothing major however. Biggest concern is holy cow this thing is Tiny, when I purchased it I sat inside and thought it would be okay but the other day a friend came over and we both climbed in. I'm a big dude, 6'2" 230 lb he is about 5 7 and the same way. It was definitely a very tight fit. Made me wonder if the yolk could even be successfully maneuver. Previous owner told me that it was built to Mark 4 specs but it's an A model.. the motor mount is actually bolted in instead of welded because it has the Volkswagen on it. It does have wood stringers through the fuselage though. Electric trim. It has electric start on it and he installed a second battery to power the start and the motor. I'm considering pulling all of that out and just hand propping for conserving wait. The data plate says it's 911 gross weight, is there anything I can do to this little fella to increase. Gross weight?

I'm strongly considering pulling  the VW off and going with a Rotax Rick 670. I'm strongly considering pulling the Volkswagen off and going with a rotax rick 670. It would be nice to do a Yamaha conversion of some kind..

I pulled the cowling and dash to start running down wires and just seeing how things are connected. Thankfully it's not a complete rats nest . Vertical speed and altimeter don't look hooked up to me? 

Trying to upload pictures and it keeps failing. I'll try again in a response. 

Jeff

Posted

The A model is 36" wide at the top of the seat.  Did you close the doors when you both sat in the plane?  That is just a static port on the back of the VSI and the altimeter.  Connecting them to a static port may give a more stable reading, but not a whole lot.  You can T them into the ASI static port line as well.  A friend of mine had an A model Avid, and he was a big guy.  He made a joy stick with an offset in it so it was more in the middle, and he flew with his feet on the outside rudder pedals and sat in the center of the plane.  I do have a couple of 582s available yet as well.  Both were inspected, had new seals and such installed last summer.  One has never ran, the other has 160 hrs.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks Jim. I guess my picture did end up uploading?

That was a thought but my brain was telling me it needed to be hooked up to something. I've taken the doors off so I can mess around inside but I did hold one up while he was sitting in it to see just how tight. I've been seriously looking into building my own bubble doors. My original thought of buying this plane was to get my ticket in it. However I'm wondering if two of us will fit. Haha I thought about creating a center yoke and then moving throttles to the outside edges of the dash. Kind of like the Zenith 701.

Posted

I like the throttles mounted on the side such as a J-3. Feels more comfortable and I can use my R hand on the stick. Takes a little gum and bailing wire to have dual throttles but very doable. I also like a quadrant better than a pushy-pully  thingie in the middle!

2 people like this

Posted

The A model is 36" wide at the top of the seat.  Did you close the doors when you both sat in the plane?  That is just a static port on the back of the VSI and the altimeter.  Connecting them to a static port may give a more stable reading, but not a whole lot.  You can T them into the ASI static port line as well.  A friend of mine had an A model Avid, and he was a big guy.  He made a joy stick with an offset in it so it was more in the middle, and he flew with his feet on the outside rudder pedals and sat in the center of the plane.  I do have a couple of 582s available yet as well.  Both were inspected, had new seals and such installed last summer.  One has never ran, the other has 160 hrs.  JImChuk

Jim. What do want for one of those 582s? 

Do you have a reduction also?

Posted

Sent you a PM.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Doubleclutch, This is a post for a 582 FWF in another thread. Saves a lot of work. Not sure how well the mount will go in an A model.

1 person likes this