Losing weight from the turtle deck

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok I'm looking to shave every ounce of fat from my bird (no surprise right?) And was looking at the turtle deck. Personally having never flown in a kitfox but thinking about some of the other types I've flown i don't think I'd miss not having the windows and my suspicion is that .020 aluminum is lighter than 1/16" lexan and without the piano hinge  in the middle (with the antenna where it is the hinge is nearly worthless) and maybe losing a few of the stiffeners around the windows I could save a few ounces.  Does anyone really find those rear windows useful? Looking at the newer foxes (models 4-7) it doesn't look like they've even got stiffeners just a sheet of lexan either bent at the corners or maybe with some aluminum angle to make the corners. 

And speaking of the antenna I'd really prefer not to have it mounted on the turtle deck. I've noticed a few guys have it mounted further back. What are the ground plane requirements and how are the normally installed? 

20190321_191859.jpg

20190321_191847.jpg

Posted

Fabric is lighter than aluminum if your really wanting to shave weight. I flew Mitchell Wings and the entire center section was a clear Mylar. In my case I added weight. There had been a number of fatalities from the Mylar coming off in flight so when it came time to replace mine I covered it with Stitts polyfiber and painted it silver to match the metal wing. I lost visibility upwards but I never missed it.

Posted

Well for my application I have to trailer the bird to the runway whenever i fly so a permanent installation is out re fabric covered.  Also I do think the skylight right above the pilot is useful, just not the windows on the turtle deck. Maybe if i were a youtuber and wanted a camera in my face that could also watch the elevator and rudder moving around I would keep the windows but I have no desire for any kind of fame (or infamy).

Posted (edited)

I liked the turtle deck rear window in my Kitfox so I could see who was about to run over me when I was in the airport traffic pattern.

Kitfox Rear View Mirror.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

Avids didn't usually have the windows in the turtle deck.  I can't turn that far around to see out the back anyway so it doesn't matter.  JImChuk