Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finally Soloed

12 posts in this topic

Posted

My instructor who will also be my DPE decided that I needed to get in some time with another instructor with the ercoupe because he didn't feel I was ready to solo yet, 2 landings with the owner with a 5 mph x-wind and he asked for my log book and told me to get up and do at least three takeoffs and landings, by my third take off he was gone in the jet on a charter all 3 were right on the numbers and if not perfect greasers were real close. Hopefully I can move faster on the rest of it so I can get back to completeing my Avid.

Posted

My instructor who will also be my DPE decided that I needed to get in some time with another instructor with the ercoupe because he didn't feel I was ready to solo yet, 2 landings with the owner with a 5 mph x-wind and he asked for my log book and told me to get up and do at least three takeoffs and landings, by my third take off he was gone in the jet on a charter all 3 were right on the numbers and if not perfect greasers were real close. Hopefully I can move faster on the rest of it so I can get back to completeing my Avid.

Congrats on the solo!!! I have found more than once that switching instructors can really help you out. Several times I have knows guys that hit a rutt and just could not seem to get over the wall, but a different instructor was able to point out a few things the previous instructor had not shown them and they moved on quickly.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I found out after putting the plane away, that although my instructor has close to 32,000 hours in GA airplanes, he had never flown an ercoupe before, the second instructor had flown this coupe back from california and spent some time teaching his son, my instructor couldn't believe that the x-wind technique in an Ercoupe is to land in a crab and let the plane straighten itself out. I will never own an ercoupe of my own but when you are a big guy and the next closest instructor is 250 miles away you go to the only place that is practical, I only have to drive 170 miles for this one. The sense of freedom when the wheels leave the ground fo the first time with no one else with you I am hooked. I am going to put my Twin Cam Harley up for sale and try and decide wich engine to repower with. I had put finishing my Avid on hold until I knew I would finish with a certificate, now I know.

Congrats on the solo!!! I have found more than once that switching instructors can really help you out. Several times I have knows guys that hit a rutt and just could not seem to get over the wall, but a different instructor was able to point out a few things the previous instructor had not shown them and they moved on quickly.

BC.gif

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

Aw man, don't sell the bike.... You'll know it's been a good day when you ride the bike to the airport, go fly your plane , and ride home.

post-3-12866606285641_thumb.jpg

Posted

Aw man, don't sell the bike.... You'll know it's been a good day when you ride the bike to the airport, go fly your plane , and ride home.

Holy shit! Look who is still alive and kicking!!! :lmao:

Welcome back Steve.. You know how boring it is when one of the original mis-fits who loves to stir the pot does not come around

Posted

That is why I am selling the Twin Cam and not the Shovelhead

Posted (edited)

1st off-- Congrats on the SOLO!! :beerchug:

Nothing better!

post-36-12866702233043_thumb.jpg

post-36-12866702378868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

1st off-- Congrats on the SOLO!! beerchug.gif

Nothing better!

OK, the bike pics is makng ole Lenio a wee bit on the jealous side... ahhh the good ole days before wifes and kids.. You can bet that when the dust settles here and I lick my wounds that I will be joining you fellers on the open road!

oh yeah, Nice bikes guys! :BC::BC: < may you never leak out all the oil between pit stops!

Posted

I have a shovelhead, it is supposed to mark its territory. But it was actually my wife who finally made me get the shovelhead, then I bought a wrecked Fatboy and totally rebuilt it, then I turned my Wideglide into a hardtail chopper nothing left but paint and reassembly, with my back in such terrible shape I can only make short rides, 25 or 30 miles Just enough to make the Airport My Fatboy has seen LA a dozen times, riding it out to work before my back went, now I am finishing my Avid with almost all mark IV modifications except the entire width I wouldn't gve up flying even if I had to take an instructor up every time, but now I finally don't have too. Just need to find an instructor who will train me in my Avid and pick up tailwheel the end is in sight.

OK, the bike pics is makng ole Lenio a wee bit on the jealous side... ahhh the good ole days before wifes and kids.. You can bet that when the dust settles here and I lick my wounds that I will be joining you fellers on the open road!

BC.gif

oh yeah, Nice bikes guys! BC.gifBC.gif < may you never leak out all the oil between pit stops!

Posted

I have a shovelhead, it is supposed to mark its territory. But it was actually my wife who finally made me get the shovelhead, then I bought a wrecked Fatboy and totally rebuilt it, then I turned my Wideglide into a hardtail chopper nothing left but paint and reassembly, with my back in such terrible shape I can only make short rides, 25 or 30 miles Just enough to make the Airport My Fatboy has seen LA a dozen times, riding it out to work before my back went, now I am finishing my Avid with almost all mark IV modifications except the entire width I wouldn't gve up flying even if I had to take an instructor up every time, but now I finally don't have too. Just need to find an instructor who will train me in my Avid and pick up tailwheel the end is in sight.

Posted

Mark it yes, the chug was to assure it did not leak it all out between stops :lol: When you have a wife who insists you get a shovel head, you done did found yerself a keeper :lmao: (can you guess which finger I am holding up right now) :lol:

Should not be too tough to find and instructor who will train in your plane, and the TW endorsement is a piece of cake.. well, as long as you have wide gear!

I hate it when my back goes out.. damn, this getting old stuff SUCKS!

Posted

'Just like everything else on this plane I am building the wide gear right now, I haven't dcided wether to put springs on it or stick with the bungees, Damn I have got to get the ole Lady to show me how to post pictures, I am trying to think of a part of this bird I haven't rebuilt yet, but the DAR says it looks like a new build to him. And though I hate to admit it my wife number 1 would make anyones look like a saint. (I don't hve o worry about her, she doesn't get out for another 5 to 10 with good behavior)jail_time.gif

Mark it yes, the chug was to assure it did not leak it all out between stops smilielol.gif When you have a wife who insists you get a shovel head, you done did found yerself a keeper lmao.gif (can you guess which finger I am holding up right now) smilielol.gif

Should not be too tough to find and instructor who will train in your plane, and the TW endorsement is a piece of cake.. well, as long as you have wide gear!

I hate it when my back goes out.. damn, this getting old stuff SUCKS!

BC.gif