Brake - dual calipers?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Any point in installing a second caliper?

In theory, with the pressure provided from pressing the brake cylinder being the same, adding a second caliper would give half the pressure power per caliper, compared to signle caliper, and therefore the same brake power. The only difference being that the brake power is spread over double the brake pad surface. As long as the brakes are not heating too much the brake power should remain approximately the same.

In theory - but theory and reality does not always align... 

I'm looking for real life experience in adding a second caliper (while not alos changing the rest of the installation).

Did it make any difference? Nop, a little, some, night and day...

Posted

In theory, with the pressure provided from pressing the brake cylinder being the same, adding a second caliper would give half the pressure power per caliper, compared to signle caliper, and therefore the same brake power. The only difference being that the brake power is spread over double the brake pad surface. As long as the brakes are not heating too much the brake power should remain approximately the same.

Hello Fred, I don't agree with that statement. In fact the pressure in the hydraulic circuit equals the force applied on the master cylinder divided by the area of the piston.

The force applied by the caliper is the pressure multiplied by the area of the piston. If you put 2 pistons you double the force.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello Fred, I don't agree with that statement. In fact the pressure in the hydraulic circuit equals the force applied on the master cylinder divided by the area of the piston.

The force applied by the caliper is the pressure multiplied by the area of the piston. If you put 2 pistons you double the force.

Right.. so being wrong is a good thing... so by installing a second caliper I can double the braking force.. Thank you Jerome! 

1 person likes this