Avid Flyer Model C Seat

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I'm looking at this Model C Avid, and the bench seat is, well, I don't know the right word for it - minimalist, but it really is the poorest looking part of this plane... The lacing is fine, but the bench seat itself, doesn't have much support. I'm looking for options, I have read here that some people replace foam, and the fabric - but has anyone installed a seat similar to fishing boat seat, or a kayak seat with lumbar / back support? I think the right kayak seat could be nice - if it has the support , and light - but out of the kayak seats I've tried ( not fishing kayak seats though ) - most normal kayak seats suck...

Some example links below to get people talking / thinking about the idea.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boat-seats/fold-down-boat-seats/pc/104794380/c/104705280/sc/104341680/bass-pro-shops-tournament-pro-high-back-boat-seat/2933213.uts?slotId=1

https://nativewatercraft.com/product/slayer-propel-first-class-seat/

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/single-wholesale-fishing-kayak-seat-with_60590886358.html

Opinions, feedback and talk are welcome... - I think this is something we could all benefit from....

Posted

Gotta admit I have the same concerns.  The sling seat seemingly offers absolutely no chance of lumbar support.  I am looking into an alternative based on a couple of slabs of thin, maybe reinforced plywood with thin foam covering for comfort, with a piano hinge between the two and laced to the tubes like the sling seat.  Has anyone tried this?  With some stiffness, there's at least a chance of some lumbar support.  Of course, you wouldn't want it to fail if you hit an updraft too hard or otherwise inadvertently pulled a few G's, so some engineering needs to go into such a design.  Maybe a hi-tec version with a foam and carbon sandwich for the lower piece? Carve in some bun dents?

A lighter, simpler alternative is a "back-board" with thin padding to place over the flexible seatback.

Posted

I think Randy fitted boat seats in his Avid. I  like the kayak option looks light weight but I cant imagine its any better than the sling seat. You could lay up some fiberglass like a kitfox seat. Then shape some foam.

Posted

With a little hillbilly engineering, some tubing and a little time, you can make a Lazy-Boy recliner fit. My specialty is turning expensive metal into worthless scrap.

2 people like this

Posted

With a little hillbilly engineering, some tubing and a little time, you can make a Lazy-Boy recliner fit. My specialty is turning expensive metal into worthless scrap.

I too have become quite adept at turning perfectly good metal into a bunch of recyclable chips with my lathe and mill!  :BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Personally, I don't mind the sling seat in the Avid.  I do have a spare fiberglass seat that was originally in a C model.  Probably would part with it.  Big box for shipping though.  $$$   JImChuk

Posted

Anyone besides me ever ride in a Ford Trimotor? Cool airplane. Three things I remember most about riding in it.

1. The seats inside are made of wicker.

2. I didn't know they had airplanes that big without flaps and it gets by just fine without them.

3. The yoke is attached to a big wooden stick that pivots on the floor.

I think a wicker seat or a cane seat would be a light and breathable option in our airplanes. Very artistic as well as comfortable.Here's an old photo of the inside of a Trimotor. And here's a link to buy an original. I think the one for sale is a cockpit seat. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tri-Motor-Airplane-wicker-chair-Aviation-Collectable-/253594241645?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Now that's thinking outside the box!

Brad

trimotor seats.JPG

Posted

Uuh - doesn't it have to -like- tie to the frame tubes?  What other reasonably simple and lightweight mounting options are there, realistically?  We don't have a for-real floor here.  I'm now thinking of a recurving stiff back with a butt sling as perhaps a reasonable approach.  The sling seat's padding for the backs of one's thighs over the seat truss is nice, though.  Maybe that's overkill, though, as I typically find my knees bent at almost 90-degrees while flying anyway, which should lift my thigh-backs up away from the seat truss.  Kinda like a circus clown car!

Posted (edited)

Epiphany!  Buy matching aluminum-framed lawn chairs, cut off the unneeded parts, keeping the seat parts, then string them in like the original sling seat!  Still not too good for lumbar support, though, but lightweight.  Less padding means more leg-and-headroom.  Got to have been tried, wouldn't you think?

Edited by Turbo