Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How best to descend

5 posts in this topic

Posted

For us who fly two-strokes, descending from cruise altitude is not so simple.   C5 , Leni, and others with lots of experience know what not to do when descending, in order to be kind to our little engines, and have made mention of same.  It seems like it's either descend at high speed under power if the air is smooth and it's not too cold out, go back to idle and descend rapidly if it's bumpy, and also not too cold out.  I was thinking yet another way is to pull the stick back and carry some power, riding down on the back side of the power curve, using high induced drag as a way to keep the power up.  This would seem to be a viable approach, particularly if the air is rough, and especially if it's bloody cold out.  What say the voices of experience here?  You guys with the draggy monster off-airport tires are cheating, and have it too easy, though!  Some of us still have golf-cart Carlisles; I even have wheel pants!  JimChuk says his skis are relatively clean.

Posted

In my challenger (503) I used slips quite a bit. They can be done at a reasonable airspeed and throttle setting. A 582 w/water cooled is not a big an issue as an air cooled engine, but still needs to be monitored. 250 deg was the lowest mine ever dropped to. And that was also my warm-up temp before full power. I am not sure what the min temps on a 582 are.

Posted

Really good to have a thermostat on the 582 so water temps don't get to cold, especially in cooler weather.  That's a good way to have a cold seizure if you decide to do a go around.   Otherwise, 3500-4000  will not give high EGTs from an unloaded prop like higher cruise rpms might.  JImChuk

Posted

when I land I add some flaps set throttle to Idle so its like a dead stick landing pull the nose up till you start falling holding 45 to 50 mph then about 50 feet from impact push the nose down slightly gain a small amount of air speed and flare.  That's just the way I do it I don't like relying on that engine to get me to the landing spot.

Posted

Descent is easy, just slow to below 70, pull the throttle back to about 4500 rpm, let a descent start and then lower the nose to accelerate to 75 or 80. At half throttle, the EGT does not rise, and the descent is a sporty one. To stop the descent, first get the speed back to below 70, then advance the throttle. Your thermostat should take care of water temp.