New build flight test HELP

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Well after 25 years I finally finished building my mk3.25 Avid Speedwing, those in the UK may have read about it in the LAA magazine.

The LAA have said I can do the test flying myself but first I have to get an hour in a similar type. Basically this means a 2-stroke powered Avid or Kitfox. Not many around these days so I am a bit stuck..

If anyone can help please let me know, I don’t need to be P1 just do some handling and follow thoughts from the passenger seat.

I am based in the UK and my airstrip is Fen End Farm 8 nm north of Cambridge, so if you want a new destination with accommodation if required you could come to me or I can fly to you in our Chipmunk. Either way you can get some time in a Chipmunk as a thank you..

Ken

Posted

Wish I was closer to help out!  damn, if you can handle a chipmunk I would think the avid would be a breeze for you.  I guess our FAA is not as bad here as I thought.  Some of you folks across the pond have more restrictions than we do.  All that is required here is TW endorsement. 

Hope you can get some time in a bird soon so you can get yours in the air!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your encouragement akflyer, I guess if all else fails I'll have to check out the cost of flights to Alaska:-)

Edited by KenKelso

Posted

Your more than welcome to come play here anytime but I am sure there are others closer to you.  Fred Stork comes to mind.

Posted

Your more than welcome to come play here anytime but I am sure there are others closer to you.  Fred Stork comes to mind.

I'm not sure my French ultra light license would allow me to legally test fly a speed wing in the UK - particularly not after April 12th (internal European, and not very funny, joke...)...

I did learn to fly mine by myself (trained on nose wheel) and had almost no hours when I did it. This is not to brag but just to say that it ain't that hard, and should , quoting from above, be a breeze with any previous tail dragger experience. I also did the test flights after my complete rebuild myself. 

Most Avids in the UK are speed wings and if you really think you need it help it should not be that hard to find.

But, I'll try to find another reason to why you should bring me on a flight in your Chipmunk - I'm sketching on a "tour de Britain" and I'll pencil in Fen End Farm...

Posted

You can call other insurance companies...Barry Cole found coverage to test fly his Magnum.  Might depend on amount of tailwheel time?  He had to shop around and work with the underwriters.

A lot of times they put you in an impossible situation, like requiring me to get 5 hours of instruction in an already flying magnum with an instructor that had 5 hours in a Magnum...Yah right!

Sometimes you just have to roll the bones, but for test flying, especially the first time, insurance be good...

If you do "roll the bones" look for great property insurance...there are a lot of umbrella insurances out there that would cover any damage you could do to other peoples property.  You don't want to be completely irresponsible, but you can only do what you can only do...

First Flight advice: Get and Read the EAA Flight Testing book, Read the FAA Flight Testing AC (Very Long but there are some golden nuggets in there)  Biggest take away...Take your time!!!  Don't have a crowd watching or filming.  Pick the PERFECT weather day.  Make the first flight a short one.

And the advice that just about every guy that has gone through this will give you  DON'T DO A HIGH SPEED TAXI TEST!!!  This is my pet peeve...All a high speed taxi test does is put you in between flying and landing...the most critical phases of flight.  In these little airplanes that zone can be only 1 mph different.  If you don't take my warning please do this...If you do get off of the ground, push in full power and fly...

I personally did a high speed taxi test in a Starduster Too biplane and explored both sides of a 150' wide runway, several times trying to stop.

My buddy just did the same thing in his airplane and a high speed taxi test.

of course you want to make sure it tracks straight and the brakes don't pull, but you can feel that at slower speeds.

My two cents...won't even buy you a cup of coffee anymore...

Best of luck, and don't let this scare you...you will do fine.

Ron

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not sure my French ultra light license would allow me to legally test fly a speed wing in the UK - particularly not after April 12th (internal European, and not very funny, joke...)...

I did learn to fly mine by myself (trained on nose wheel) and had almost no hours when I did it. This is not to brag but just to say that it ain't that hard, and should , quoting from above, be a breeze with any previous tail dragger experience. I also did the test flights after my complete rebuild myself. 

Most Avids in the UK are speed wings and if you really think you need it help it should not be that hard to find.

But, I'll try to find another reason to why you should bring me on a flight in your Chipmunk - I'm sketching on a "tour de Britain" and I'll pencil in Fen End Farm...

Fred, you would be more than welcome to visit us at Fen End Farm and have a flight in our Chipmunk, we are on the aviation charts and Skydemon. BTW thanks for the videos, very inspirational esp. as I also ski.

Actually the wording of the LAA requirement is that I get at least an hour's flying experience in another Avid or Kitfox before I test fly mine. Just checked my logbook and I see that I already have 35mins in an Avid Speedwing back in 1992!!!

Ken

Posted

Last time I checked the pen was still mightier than the sword.  If 25 minutes was stopping me from flying a plane that is 100 times easier to fly than the chipmunk, I am pretty damn sure I could find that time in my log book somewhere in rapid fashion..

3 people like this

Posted

Hi Ken 

I'm in the UK as well and have an avid but if you go to the laa website and look through the inspectors and find Simon goozee he is based in Bournemouth and has hundreds of hours on avids with 582 and kitfox. Very good guy and friend of mine and he will take you up in yours.

If you want to my number then inbox me and I'll send to you and if you need anymore help. 

Kind Regards

Richard

Posted

She Flies, follow this link for the video:

No snags and no adjustments required but I am having trouble restarting the 582 when hot, plugs are getting wetted. Any tips on shutdown procedure would be welcome.

Ken

4 people like this

Posted

Sweet!  Love to see a new one flying!  Don't be afraid to crack that throttle open when starting it.  I normally don't need to hit the primer when starting it hot.  If you do flood it open the throttle wide open and crank it till she fires off.