What connector for radio cable?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for input on which connector to get for my radio antenna cable. It’s a shielded cable but wasn’t sure if regular coax connectors would work or something that Aircraftspruce shows? Connector will be inline and not on an end.

I’d been meaning to get a connector for the cable because it made removing the turtle deck difficult. Well today it broke so no more procrastinating.

137065D9-8716-4A13-B87E-951F5167E14D.jpeg

Posted

You could use male and female 50 ohm BNC connectors. Just make sure they are listed to work with the type of cable that your antenna cable is made from.

Here is a connector that works for RG 142 coax cable

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-10pcs-Female-Connector-LMR195/dp/B074167HK8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?keywords=rg142+bnc&qid=1554261050&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

You will also need a crimp tool like this

https://www.amazon.com/rmsdeal77-Connector-Crimping-RG-174-Connectors/dp/B00LV5V17E/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?

A little heat shrink tubing also helps to provide a strain relief and makes the connector look professional.

1 person likes this

Posted

One of the best things I did for clarity in my radio system was to replace that standard coax cable with RG400 double shielded coax with BNC connectors on each end. The RG400 will cut out a lot of RF noise. I think I bought mine in a 10 foot length on Ebay. It was a little spendy but worth every penny. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you very much guys. You’re all very helpful. 

NorthernIdaho - I think that is something I will do. I do get a lot of noise in my signal, I thought maybe it was a connection that was weak but if that’ll help then I’ll be doing it. 

Nlappos - thank you for the link. I just ordered a 10’ length. I will need to modify it because the antenna end is just a post. It originally had the Center wire on a ring terminal and the shielding wire on a larger ring terminal. So I’ll have to make that end up unless one of those transformers with the split wire will work? 

Then ive got to figure out what connector it is exactly that fits into the radio.