Avid Trailer

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I put my hand to first big welding job.  Turned out pretty good.  Bought a Jon boat trailer with 1000 lb capacity at Sportsmans warehouse and customized to fit my Avid.  Pretty simple to do but time consuming. 

IMG_5687.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Looks just like my Fox trailer. Replace the bungee cords on the ramps with a steel strap w/quick pin and you also have a capture mode for the main wheels.

Posted

Looks just like my Fox trailer. Replace the bungee cords on the ramps with a steel strap w/quick pin and you also have a capture mode for the main wheels.

Yes that's my next step.  Also need to put something smooth under and in front of wheels because the grating will wear a hole in tire.  Do you have a picture of your strap setup? 

Posted

Looks good! If you plan to haul it any distance I would suggest making a separate tail support off of one of the two frame through holes and not haul it supported on the tailwheel. More than a few  lower longerons have been bent trying to haul a plane on the tailwheel. Here is the only pictures I could find in short notice that shows what I'm talking about. I would make mine out of steel and easy to install. 

Magnum1.jpg

Magnum3.jpeg

Posted

That's a good idea.  Get that done this Sunday.

Posted (edited)

Nice job! I like that idea. I use an old racecar trailer now. It has the air dam up front which helps quite a bit in deflecting most of the blast and dirt up and over.

avid folded.jpg

Edited by Elkonastick

Posted

Yes that's my next step.  Also need to put something smooth under and in front of wheels because the grating will wear a hole in tire.  Do you have a picture of your strap setup? 

Here is a picture of the strap. one each side.

Trailer 002.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

My trailer was included with the aircraft when I bought it. I am curious as to what one cost already built?  Since I paid way too much for the package when I bought it and it fits the standard gear Fox, was wondering how much I overspent. But I understand prices are going up on Avid/Foxes, when you can find them. A basic ultralight kit nowdays goes for 15K-20K.  OUCH!

Posted

you can probably pick up a small boat trailer used for 3-500.  If your paying someone to do the mods probably 150-200 in materials and another 3-500 for the fabrication and welding.  

Being able to easily transport your plane safely and not on a 10K rated trailer that will beat the hell out of your plane.  Priceless.  For everything else there is master card.

:BC:

Posted

When you guys tow tail first, do you brace the elevator/rudder with something?

Posted

When you guys tow tail first, do you brace the elevator/rudder with something?

Yes. If you look at the picture posted above (blue and white plane) you can see one of the gust locks. They are made of PVC, bolts, pipe insulation and a chunk of string. Let me know if you want a better look and I will send you pictures. 

Posted (edited)

Definitely have gust locks made up and use them.  1/4" boards with some carpet foam on the inside works well.  I've sold 2 elevators to people who didn't have gust locks on and ended up breaking the elevator.  And just think about this.  You get where you are going, and say.  well it looks like nothing broke, but are you sure?  Maybe it just cracked and one more semi going by would have broke it clear off.  What if that next gust happens when you are at a couple hundred feet or more.  JImChuk

PS  if you go without them, you will wish you had them after you meet the first semi on a two way road or a semi passes you.  Things will flap around a lot.

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Yes that's my next plan.  I just tow it to the airport 3 miles away at 35 mph.  However I do intend to haul it to Valdez so the gust locks are a good idea.

Posted

So I'm thinking of towing nose first. Any reason not to? (Yes I know loading is easier tail first).

Posted

I've towed them both ways and found little difference. Main thing either way, is gust locks and secured good. I know I love folding wings but, most damage done is from towing one even on our super glass like highways.

Posted

I have heard the problem with towing them nose first is it puts pressure into the inside of the wing from wind blowing into the open ends of the spars.  Can separate the fabric from the ribs.

2 people like this

Posted

I have heard the problem with towing them nose first is it puts pressure into the inside of the wing from wind blowing into the open ends of the spars.  Can separate the fabric from the ribs.

I spray foamed the open end of the wing spars.

Posted

I spray foamed the open end of the wing spars.

I've epoxied aluminum plates into the spars also, but was trying to stop mice from moving in.  Suppose the foam would have done the same with less effort. JImChuk

Posted

I was down in Lewiston visiting Dean Wilson many years ago. We walked outside and there an Avid setting on a trailer backwards. He looked at me and said “I never figured out why people would haul these things backwards. I told him that I figured it must be easier to convert a small trailer for it. He agreed and said he didn’t like it. The reason I remember it so well is I had thought the same thing myself. 

I have a backwards hauling Avid trailer and I’ve hauled them nose first. I prefer nose first. The things I like about hauling nose first is the wings move/flutter less at higher highway speeds, the plane takes gusts from big vehicles better and if for some reason a wing was to come loose it’s not going to open.  As far as the open end of the wings, I cut up some of those silver car window shades and tape them over the ends of the wings with 2” wide painters tape. Support the tail good and it’s a pretty good ride.

Id still rather try making love to a bobcat in a phone booth as haul another airplane anywhere.  

Posted

Here is a couple of pictures of what happens when one wing comes open on a trailer while being hauled backwards. 

1E45E88F-E42F-4232-AE56-44EF509985B7.jpeg

4ABA084D-4C7E-46D5-8208-E3E3E4B35019.jpeg

Posted

I'm guessing if Dean didn't want you to haul them backwards he wouldn't have put the attachments back there for a tung mount.

I had to go backwards with mine because I couldn't get over the fender wells of my car trailer. Tires are to wide.

Posted

I guessing Dean understood the difference between hauling one across the country and towing one locally to the airport. 

I towed mine from California backwards. Longest trip of my life. 

:BC:

Posted

I'm guessing if Dean didn't want you to haul them backwards he wouldn't have put the attachments back there for a tung mount.

I had to go backwards with mine because I couldn't get over the fender wells of my car trailer. Tires are to wide.

Big difference hauling one short distance at low speed (tire/wheel bearing limits) and hauling one across the country on the freeways at high speed.

Posted

When I bought my Avid in California, I bought an enclosed trailer (8' x 20') to haul it back to Illinois (and later to Florida).  Best decision I ever made.  Unfortunately, the only one I could find in time was too narrow to load the Avid with the wings attached.  I took off the wing without a fuel tank, not terribly difficult, and easy to reattach.  I didn't check the tail, and it is just as wide as the wings are folded so it had to come off also.  That one nut buried in the vertical stabilizer is a ROYAL b*tch to get out, particularly at a remote field with only the tools I brought!

Still have the trailer 13 years later - probably has 75,000 miles on it by now.  Most useful thing I ever bought.

1 person likes this

Posted

I will probably get an enclosed trailer someday. Really makes it nice going to fly-ins. If a storm comes up, put it in the trailer and head home. Can be slept in if necessary. Call me a weenie if you want, I've been stuck a few times because of weather. Enclosed trailers are the berries if you go to fly-ins and double as a hangar. Not cheap, but worth it.

1 person likes this