Avid Trailer

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been thinking about enclosing the trailer I made for my Avid Flyer. I want to keep it light and easy to tow. I found this company that makes soft tops for trailers in all sizes. It may be feasible to adapt something like this to a basic Avid/Kitfox trailer. It gives you some protection from the weather and keeps your airplane safe going down the road. Link here to a basic cover review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqiWVHcQuc

Link here to the actual company. https://www.canvasworksincmn.com/snocaps-trailer-enclosures

Posted

If the wing lock back braces are properly installed they wont come off.  I always tie the flaperons together as well as a just in case.  I use castle nuts and a safety pin on the wing tie backs.  Easy to put in and don't need tools but its secure.  

Every time I have seen the wings come unfolded when trailering was operator error by failing to secure them properly.  if not secured properly they are going to do damage no matter which way its towed.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I've thought about making an enclosed trailer as well.  Thought about using 3/4" conduit for the framework, and the real heavy uncertified fabric aircraft spruce sells.  It's twice as heavy as the medium fabric and sells for about 5 bucks a yard.  That would make it easy to curve it in the front.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

For local and short trips a flexible covered trailer might work just fine. On an interstate doing 60-70 mph, I would be cautious especially when semi's pass doing 80. Those conditions will blow a factory built enclosed trailer around quite a bit and they are a lot heavier. Add a little bit of wind and you're looking at some tense moments. Same for single axel trailers. But then, not everybody drives a Ford pickup! (LOL)

Edited by Allen Sutphin
2 people like this

Posted

Man, an enclosed trailer would be nice!  I hate towing in the rain, even drizzle!  My builder put together an ingenious trailer that tows the airplane level and backwards very securely, but semis send you rocking and careening!  In my case the trailer was a necessary part of the deal, as my airport's 35 miles away.

Posted

I have an enclosed trailer, but a wing has to come off to fit the avid in.  It was neither cheap, nor light!  But it was worth it to bring the avid from California to Illinois, then Florida.  I've probably got 75,000 miles on that trailer now, using it for many things except hauling the avid!

One caution - even more so than when you get a pickup, suddenly you have a lot of friends that need to move.....

Mark

Posted (edited)

One caution - even more so than when you get a pickup, suddenly you have a lot of friends that need to move.....

Mark

Or use a MINI and a trailer, nobody asks you to help them move! Car and trailer 4,200 miles, 2,100 miles with the plane kit. Trailer is #425 empty and around #750 as you see it. Don't even know it's behind you for the most part. 

MINI.jpg

Edited by Ronin

Posted

That works great for a project!  Mine was a flying Avid, I think that trailer would be a little short! :)  I also had two nights out on the way back, and didn't want it damaged by looky loos in the hotel parking lots.  And I *might* have exceeded the 70mph legal limit for a good part of the trip.

That is a great stealth trailer setup though, no one would ever think of asking for someone with a Mini to help them move!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Reminds me of the Clampets moving from West Verginny to Calif. But hey, if it works.

1 person likes this

Posted

Reminds me of the Clampets moving from West Verginny to Calif. But hey, if it works.

Fit a complete IV kit in a 4X8 trailer, well it hung off the front and back just a little bit. :rolleyes: 

Posted

Whenever I've had to tote mine anywhere I borrow my buddy's race car trailer. It has a big air dam up front that really helps. Drug it from southern Washington to southern Oregon with no issues.

20180426_174203_resized.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Just roaded 3621 miles with this setup. Lotsa 50-60kph winds forecasted and one thunderhead that had the road construction signs slapping the asphalt!!

20190518_215724.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

I can't think of any two locations in the lower 48 that far apart. That's a long haul.

Posted

MI to AK. So some lower 48 and then some. Haha

Posted

Here is a company that makes enclosed trailers for aircraft. They have a trailer that is 105" inside and 110" outside. They also have tie downs so you can anchor it if your using it as a hangar.

https://www.customaircrafttrailers.com/