Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sling Seat Question

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm doing a number of mods to my plane to cut weight and 1 I want to do is install a sling seat. I'm converting the plane to a single seat in the middle and using the outboard rudder pedals. I would like to use the space on either side of the seat for cargo space. I saw Jim's post about a guy who did something similar with an avid but for the life of me i can't find it again, but he made a bench seat. I'm wondering how feasible it is just to have the middle 18-20" have the seat? Ive read about the issues with the flap lever and looking at my plane wonder if the KF1 can accommodate a sling seat without interfering with that?  Also I'm wondering about omitting the padding? Seems like a good way to save weight and money and lower my head away from the ceiling a little. 

Last question to Jim about the center seat/stick setup. I know it was an Avid and i saw how he cut the top of the stick off and added a tube that was angled to get the stick in the middle. I don't remember if the avid has the flap lever in the middle like my kitfox does? Just wondering about clearance. Can you move the stick through full range with the flap handle pulled up? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Guess anything can be done, the Avid has the flap handle just like the Kitfox does.  As long as it's not to long or the joy stick to short where it bends over toward the center, I don't think you would have a problem with that.  Here is a link to the Avid seat and all.  Look on page 2 if that one doesn't come up automatically.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5874-parting-out-a-model-avid-stol-wing/&page=2

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Guess anything can be done, the Avid has the flap handle just like the Kitfox does.  As long as it's not to long or the joy stick to short where it bends over toward the center, I don't think you would have a problem with that.  Here is a link to the Avid seat and all.  Look on page 2 if that one doesn't come up automatically.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5874-parting-out-a-model-avid-stol-wing/&page=2

Thanks Jim. That helps. Do you think the sling seat is useable without padding?

Edited by Willja67

Posted

My friend had a 2" thick pad on his seat, bottom and back.  JImChuk