Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

11" matco dual fork worth it?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

So if your planning on strictly all off airport  and off runway (bush) landings would the 11" dual fork be worth it on an Avid mk4?? Or overkill? Im planning on the 21" aero classics for mains on the grove gear. Anyone made their own bush version tw assembly??

Posted

The 8" wide works great.  If you are serious about "bush" operations then you need all the AOA you can get.  The 11" will take away some of your AOA and that is not a good thing.

Posted (edited)

Well looks like that is settled. Lol. How about any homebuild tailwheel assemblies? Or is that pretty tricky with angle, chain and release? It would be nice to see the shock variant homebuilt mains....heres a few pics ive seen floating around lately...maybe thats for another thread though

Screenshot_20190327-175928_Samsung Internet.jpg

20190406_105723.jpg

Edited by Jaws136
Pic

Posted

Jaws,

I really like the dual fork Matco TW but the 8" one is 3 piece that bolts together and not tough enough.  I had mine welded solid which worked well but then it broke on me when cinched down hard on a trailer.  I decided to replace the fork part with the 10" machined one piece fork from Matco and used my 8" TW to keep the AOA.  you can see in the picture I redrilled the axle hole in the fork for the 8" tire.  If you want it to be very tough and still keep your AOA of the 8" tire, that is what I recommend.

Randy

DSCN3195-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice, Randy. I dont even want to ask what improvement the t3 made. Lol. Well too late already ordered the 3 piece that bolts together 8". Im handy with a welder, is the weak spot obvious?? The t3 would probably make the "weak" spot of the fork magically disappear with some extra cushion too.