Airworthy Magnum

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I finally got my Magnum inspected today and got my "white" slip which used to be the "pink" slip called an Airworthiness Certificate. I will update on first flight soon weather permitting.

Photo Apr 07, 15 01 30.jpg

6 people like this

Posted

Congratulations Barry!!! 

Posted

Congrats!

Posted

Congrats!  Can't wait for the flight reports.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Congratulations Barry! That is awesome!

The Magnum is in a class all itself among Avids that's for sure. I cant wait till you apply the throttle and go. I guarantee the grin will go from ear to ear! Mine at 150HP was amazing in comparison to my MKIV or my Fat Avid and also amazing when compared to the spam cans I trained in to get my PPL.

The horizontal stab has a place to put a shim to trim it. A little bit of shim (washer) thickness change makes a huge difference in the trim of the plane as you might expect. The procedure I used to determine the proper shim thickness was to first verify the W&B was where I planned to fly it most of the time and within limits. Then I set the wing heim joint for hands off level flight and worked on zero flap flapperon angle at the same time. That can be an iterative process because as the flapperons approach going into reflex the can make a heavy wing. So you might want to make sure flapperons are not reflexed at all when making the wing adjustment for level flight. After the combination of minimum flap setting and wing adjustment produce total hands off flying at the desired most common W&B, set the trim to flat/neutral and start shimming the horiz stab for level flight with trim neutral at your fastest cruise because that is where you want the plane to be most efficient. Then you can apply trim (and the associated drag that comes along with it for slower flight and landings etc.

It might take a little while to get everything adjusted up perfectly the way you want it but once you do you will find the Magnum to be an INCREDIBLE bird.

Chris

Edited by Chris Bolkan
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks everyone!!

Chris, thanks for the insight on rigging, It will take some work for sure. I flew it the first time this morning and it needs some work in the flaperon department for sure. I,ll be posting results. Ron Davidson has been a great help too on flight characteristics and things to watch out for.

More details to come...........

Posted

I always thought some kind of a jack screw back there would have been very cool. It would eliminate the need for the trim tab as you could trim by adjusting the stab like pipers do. so much more efficient.

Posted

I just realized I probably sound like I think I am a know it all. Definitely not and don't want to give that impression. I hate people like that. It's just that I've been through this with my Magnum and learned a lot that may help if you haven't been through setting it up. Particularly the heavy wing/flap relationship that is not at all obvious or intuitive.