Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

can someone confirm datum line

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

i'm doing some calcs, and can't remember if the tail dragger avid c main axles are 1.5" -ish aft the 0 datum, or forward.

Edited by Matthewtanner

Posted

Definatly forward on the ones I've measured.  I seem to remember 3/4" forward.  JImChuk

Posted

My records show for original Avid tail dragger gear,  -1.6" for main axles, which is forward of the wing leading edge (the datum). 

Posted

yikes, i've been flying with it forward of cg...for some reason i seemed to remember when i leveled out the aircraft, the axle was behind 1.5"....at least i know it flies ok forward of cg.

Posted

move your CG back to 16" or 18" and you will be shocked how much better it flys...

1 person likes this

Posted

yea, now i'm gonna try to find where i can source lead shot locally to make a weight bag. i was flying around at 11.2 cg because i didn't minus the moments of the front wheel weight, i added them.

Posted

not that it's gospel...but on the manual page 1-9 the example for the nose gear is "-" but the tail dragger the mains are "+". I could travel back out to the hangar and just level out the aircraft and drop a plumb line, but the manual plus i just for some reason remember the axles being behind....but really it doesn't make sense that they would be.

Posted

I couldn’t take it boys....had to go do just that. My axle behind leading edge, which means my cg a-ok

3C4B8187-F59C-4D06-97AC-97E1DCE07AE9.png