Avid Catalina for sale on ebay

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Look at this one I found on e bay. Seems a bit fishy to me....only 2 Hrs TT. I could imagine the owner having done a ground loop  and being frightened (why taking the wings off for space???They fold in minutes ). The Catalina is real easy on water but needs attention when landing on pavement. This one never landed on water!!!!!!

Looks good though..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphibious-Avid-Catalina-ROTAX-582-VERY-VERY-LOW-HOURS-NO-RESERVE/333148348865?hash=item4d913061c1:g:kUEAAOSwQsFcqnMr

Edited by flywise
error

Posted

The FAA registration list it under type of aircraft as a glider.  That seems odd.... JImChuk

Posted

The airworthiness on mine and the operating limitations have it listed as a motor glider as well.  I am guessing some of the old inspectors had no clue what to call these

Posted

(why taking the wings off for space???They fold in minutes ).

I recently took the wings off my KF1 to do some work on it. It had been sitting in my garage for months with the wings folded and it was amazing how much more room i had to walk around the plane with them off.

Posted

That airplane is surely legit. Can someone ask their wife if i can buy it, my wife says no!

1 person likes this

Posted

That airplane is surely legit. Can someone ask their wife if i can buy it, my wife says no!

My Ex wife gave you the go ahead Mr.  Enjoy this fine bird!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

My wife is also approving - probably just to prevent me from buying it...

1 person likes this

Posted

I recently took the wings off my KF1 to do some work on it. It had been sitting in my garage for months with the wings folded and it was amazing how much more room i had to walk around the plane with them off.

Hey , yes you're right but.....then you have to find some serious space to store the set of wings on a support!    hahahah!!!!  

Posted

Hey , yes you're right but.....then you have to find some serious space to store the set of wings on a support!    hahahah!!!!  

hanging on the walls or ceiling takes up less room that having them folded if your looking at long term storage and maximizing the use of available space.

1 person likes this

Posted

20190313_210401.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

hanging on the walls or ceiling takes up less room that having them folded if your looking at long term storage and maximizing the use of available space.

That does make sense...:P

& nice way to hang the wings

1 person likes this

Posted

8 hours to go, and only a single bidder?

Here's another option- an amphibian that hasn't been completed-  the facebook flying machine marketplace lists:

https://tinyurl.com/yy6hoja4

Text is:

Avid Amphibious aircraft kit

$5,500

Unfinished kit, No engine, prop , interior or instruments, Lots of work completed. Calls Only for details five 0 eight four nine 6 five 3 nine 4

1 person likes this

Posted

8 hours to go, and only a single bidder?

Here's another option- an amphibian that hasn't been completed-  the facebook flying machine marketplace lists:

https://tinyurl.com/yy6hoja4

Text is:

Avid Amphibious aircraft kit

$5,500

Unfinished kit, No engine, prop , interior or instruments, Lots of work completed. Calls Only for details five 0 eight four nine 6 five 3 nine 4

If this includes all the wing / tailfeather materials, then it's a steal of a deal......I would buy that one if I had not a Catalina already !!!!

There are hardly any unfinished kits for sale anymore...

Posted

Here's one on Barnstormers now.

AVID AMPHIBIAN 1995
1x1.gif

AVID AMPHIBIAN 1995 • $18,000 • MY LOSS • YOUR GAIN • Airframe tt 175hrs. Refurbished 2000. New Rotax 582 blue head tt, 70hrs. New Reduction drive tt, 70hrs. Warp drive Amphibious prop tt, 70hrs. Engine has in -flight mixture control. Cabin heater under passenger seat for winter flying. Instruments basic with Magellan Skyblaser XL GPS, Icome IC-A5, comes with two Light Speed noise canceling head sets. Fuel capacity is 17.5 with 4gph gives about 4 hrs flying. Aircraft has no bad habits on water, is a blast to land and takeoff on water then put wheels down taxi up on beach. Hangerd since new paint and upholstery. Lost medical time to sell. • Contact Jack McClellan, Owner - located Moses Lake, WA USA • Telephone: 509-989-6076 • Posted April 10, 2019 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1554914106thumb.jpg?modified=1554914106thumb.jpg?modified=1554914106thumb.jpg?modified=1554914106thumb.jpg?modified=1554914106

Posted

Well, I drove down to look at the Catalina in Independence on Sunday (full day round trip) and ended up getting it. It’s first class workmanship. Now I have to go back down and pick it up. I will have to move the fly off period up here just like I did when I got my Magnum.

I flew up and looked at Jacks amphib last fall (40 minute flight) when he had it listed for 23k. It’s nice too. It even has a sweet cabin heater. At the time it was too rich for my blood. Looks like he’s come down significantly in asking price.

Im super stoked to have a Catalina!

Posted

Well, I drove down to look at the Catalina in Independence on Sunday (full day round trip) and ended up getting it. It’s first class workmanship. Now I have to go back down and pick it up. I will have to move the fly off period up here just like I did when I got my Magnum.

I flew up and looked at Jacks amphib last fall (40 minute flight) when he had it listed for 23k. It’s nice too. It even has a sweet cabin heater. At the time it was too rich for my blood. Looks like he’s come down significantly in asking price.

Im super stoked to have a Catalina!

Hey Chris,

welcome to the Catalina owners/flyers....If I can be of any assistance let me know. Even though I have a rotax 912, the Catalina flies more or less the same than a 2 smoke...

I am just curious about 'your' new cat empty weight??? empty aircraft C of g location?

Laurent

Posted

Thanks! I am going to need a lot of help I am sure. I just got my seaplane rating last September and have no other experience than getting the rating. And it was in a piper Supercruiser on floats, and not a pusher. I did learn to fly in a challenger so I have done all the different things, just not all together. :-) It was sure fun flying off water though! 

the builder wasn’t kidding when he said he couldn’t fit. I’m pretty skinny and just about the perfect size for planes like the MKIV. Even though the Catalina has a larger more open interior I have to fight to get full aileron control without my legs getting in the way because they are constrained by the water rudder control on the left and the landing gear control in the middle.

Kind of embarrassed to say I don’t know the w&b. Will say when I find out. It was built very clean no extra crap that would make a lot of added weight that I could see. He said 600 but I will trust the paper more and my own measurements the most.

2 people like this

Posted

Chris,

Congratulations.  If you snagged that Cat at the price the auction closed at then you got a steal.  The auction seemed to end a couple of hours early for no apparent reason.  I would have liked to have been in a position to acquire that airplane but alas too many airplanes already in my hangar.  Well done. Enjoy!

Marlon

Posted

We worked out a deal and he took it off eBay. I am pretty pleased.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mystery solved. Outstanding. Please share pix when you've got it back into one piece! 

Posted

Thanks! I am going to need a lot of help I am sure. I just got my seaplane rating last September and have no other experience than getting the rating. And it was in a piper Supercruiser on floats, and not a pusher. I did learn to fly in a challenger so I have done all the different things, just not all together. :-) It was sure fun flying off water though! 

the builder wasn’t kidding when he said he couldn’t fit. I’m pretty skinny and just about the perfect size for planes like the MKIV. Even though the Catalina has a larger more open interior I have to fight to get full aileron control without my legs getting in the way because they are constrained by the water rudder control on the left and the landing gear control in the middle.

Kind of embarrassed to say I don’t know the w&b. Will say when I find out. It was built very clean no extra crap that would make a lot of added weight that I could see. He said 600 but I will trust the paper more and my own measurements the most.

Hey Chris,

I agree the Catalina is best suited for us underfed people...I weigh 127Lbs and I don't find the cockpit too roomy. The good part is that once in flight you feel a sense of space as you have about 270 deg unobstructed view to the outside.

don't worry about the full aileron control / stick hitting your leg. The aileron inputs needed are deflecting the stick maximum 1/2 in to 1 1/2 inch maximum in flight. The only time I needed near full deflection was on ground/water when taxiing to counter strong crosswinds...

Regarding the empty weight I doubt it's 600Lbs...

I would replace the original heavy wing sponsons for the full lotus ones...saves about 17Lbs !!!!

Looking forward seeing more details of your new bird

Posted

When I was building mine, I was worried about the canopy brace (which you don't have to, it seems- you have gull wings), and moved my rudder pedals forward, which dropped my knees, and made more room for the stick.  I'm 6', and 195, and I fit ok, but the passenger side seems to have less room.. and you can darn well forget the back.  I fit the floor in the back, and then took it back out- easier to check for water, and after squeezing myself into the back, once, knew that I would NEVER have anyone back there, so no need for a floor. 

Water is an issue- the step is pretty shallow, and  any water in the cabin area can QUICKLY migrate aft into the tail at a not-so-steep climbout, and do all sorts of nasty things to your weight and balance.  I have an automatic/manual bilge pump, and an indicator light that tells me when it's operative.  On approach to water landings- it's on automatic, and stays there until takeoff, when it goes to manual (after insuring that it's not currently running- did I mention that I have the floor out in back so I can check for water?).  I do a shallow climb with the pump ON, and then switch to auto, checking for water ( light still on) before I try and increase my climb angle (light off).

Why so picky? 

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/air-safety-institute/accident-analysis/featured-accidents/amphib-carwheels-on-takeoff

I knew Jim, and had land-taxied in his catalina with him.  His had modified landing gear, which didn't leave him much clearance between the step and the ground- any little bump, and he'd drag, especially with both of us in the plane- something to check for.  He was also fighting water incursions- and from all accounts, tried to yank it off the water, and the water jumped the step..  Recommendation?  Do a few high-speed taxis on the water, stop, and check for leaks (you do NOT need that rear floor...).  If it seems dry, still be cautious.  Before heading out to a lake for landing, I actually mowed a path and rigged a ramp into a stock tanks (acre-sized pond), and drove around in that a bit, and found a significant leak around one axle.  I made a packing bearing for the inside axles, and filled the outside gap (?)  with 3m 5200 sealant.  I still get a bit of a weep, but I can live with it.. especially with that light...

The only concern I had when looking at the pics of the plane on ebay were about the "f1" mods to the engine shroud. While having that one big radiator out on one side of the plane is draggy, if you look at the standard 582 installation, the engine shroud is pretty aerodynamic, which gives you a smoother flow into the propeller, allowing it more of a bite(power) and less noise.  If you find that you don't seem to have much power, and have a really coarse setting on your prop, that's where I'd look first.  Look at the open area behind the firewall on your plane, and mine.  I've even streamlined the push-rods for the flaperons since, just to clean up the air into the prop, and smoothed out some of the extraneous stuff on the forward cowling designed for other engines.

Have fun!  But.. don't expect to be in a hurry to get there- it's a pretty draggy airplane.   

Jack- Austin, TX

IMG_1506.JPG

Posted

Thanks Jack!  The engine cowl work he did and the 2 radiators did not bring immediate concerns, but I will pay close attention to what you are saying.

I am hoping that the relatively low gunnels (if that is what they are called on a flying boat) do not make it prone to taking water in over the sides if boat wakes roll by while sitting on the water.

I expect this to be about a 70 MPH airplane and won't be at all disappointed if it has an honest 70 cruise. Am I over optimistic?

Chris

Posted (edited)

When I was building mine, I was worried about the canopy brace (which you don't have to, it seems- you have gull wings), and moved my rudder pedals forward, which dropped my knees, and made more room for the stick.  I'm 6', and 195, and I fit ok, but the passenger side seems to have less room.. and you can darn well forget the back.  I fit the floor in the back, and then took it back out- easier to check for water, and after squeezing myself into the back, once, knew that I would NEVER have anyone back there, so no need for a floor. 

Water is an issue- the step is pretty shallow, and  any water in the cabin area can QUICKLY migrate aft into the tail at a not-so-steep climbout, and do all sorts of nasty things to your weight and balance.  I have an automatic/manual bilge pump, and an indicator light that tells me when it's operative.  On approach to water landings- it's on automatic, and stays there until takeoff, when it goes to manual (after insuring that it's not currently running- did I mention that I have the floor out in back so I can check for water?).  I do a shallow climb with the pump ON, and then switch to auto, checking for water ( light still on) before I try and increase my climb angle (light off).

Why so picky? 

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/air-safety-institute/accident-analysis/featured-accidents/amphib-carwheels-on-takeoff

I knew Jim, and had land-taxied in his catalina with him.  His had modified landing gear, which didn't leave him much clearance between the step and the ground- any little bump, and he'd drag, especially with both of us in the plane- something to check for.  He was also fighting water incursions- and from all accounts, tried to yank it off the water, and the water jumped the step..  Recommendation?  Do a few high-speed taxis on the water, stop, and check for leaks (you do NOT need that rear floor...).  If it seems dry, still be cautious.  Before heading out to a lake for landing, I actually mowed a path and rigged a ramp into a stock tanks (acre-sized pond), and drove around in that a bit, and found a significant leak around one axle.  I made a packing bearing for the inside axles, and filled the outside gap (?)  with 3m 5200 sealant.  I still get a bit of a weep, but I can live with it.. especially with that light...

The only concern I had when looking at the pics of the plane on ebay were about the "f1" mods to the engine shroud. While having that one big radiator out on one side of the plane is draggy, if you look at the standard 582 installation, the engine shroud is pretty aerodynamic, which gives you a smoother flow into the propeller, allowing it more of a bite(power) and less noise.  If you find that you don't seem to have much power, and have a really coarse setting on your prop, that's where I'd look first.  Look at the open area behind the firewall on your plane, and mine.  I've even streamlined the push-rods for the flaperons since, just to clean up the air into the prop, and smoothed out some of the extraneous stuff on the forward cowling designed for other engines.

Have fun!  But.. don't expect to be in a hurry to get there- it's a pretty draggy airplane.   

Jack- Austin, TX

IMG_1506.JPG

Hey Jack, just to add to your post...

regarding the very valid water-in-fuselage danger before take-off, I included in my pre-take off check a quick way to make sure there is no water (my bilge pump my be on and still not do its job to remove water for many reasons).  At once from idle I power up a couple seconds (water rushes rearward) and then chop the power back to low idle, at this point if there is any water in the bottom it will rush forward and I can see it just behind the fwd cockpit floorboard (a quick glance down). This I find easier to do than to turn your body around 180 degrees to look at the rear passenger floor.

As much as I respect Jack's input (I got a lot of questions answered a few years ago, thank you so much Jack) I disagree that the rear seat could not be used by any human being....I often fly with my family, wife in the RH seat and our 11 year old (5feet tall) in the back. even my Wife sat in the back and found it roomier than sitting beside me up front...

For safety, I installed plastic (nylon) screws in the backseat windows so that my son could kick open the rear window (at the lower rear corner) to exit in an emergency. Also the plastic screws vs metal would not damage my prop If one were to get loose...

P1020037.JPG

Edited by flywise

Posted

70- should be doable.  It takes more power to push beyond that.  I'd actually passed the question at one time to Dean Wilson- "Why 90 VNE?", and the response came back-- 'Didn't think anyone would want to go faster than that..'. I can't go full throttle in level flight- my 1/2 throttle cruise is around 80 mph.  The plane starts to feel a little squirrelly faster than that, so... I don't go there.  While the challenger is an aft pusher, the catalina thrust line is much higher, so be gentle with the throttle until you get a feel for it.  The other problem with the catalina, is with those big wings- high speed taxi can quickly become low speed flight, pull back on the throttle, and you stall almost immediately.  I have a problem in Texas in summer- coming in for a landing, when I cross the threshold on a big asphalt runway, I generally balloon up 100 feet or so, just from the lift..  and flying in turbulence with that light a wing load is NOT fun.  Crosswinds suck, as well- you're going to have to learn to crab and kick- those floats out there don't make one-wheelers very practical.  And a crosswind gust just as you land can get real exciting.  Not to mention the lack of suspension- I run my tires at 16 lbs.

I don't hit the lakes on weekends- Boat wakes aren't the problem, but the boats and jetskis are.  Seems they all want to come over and take a look, which kinda clashes with the FAA regs..  You won't have the normal boating problems- any wind, and you weathervane into it, so no worry about rolls.  Anything from the side, still no roll, as your wings are supported.  Roller over the bow- haven't seen it yet, but I'm not going to try and find the experience.  Rough water can be more of a challenge.  Been there, decided to fly closer in to the lee next time. I try and keep spray out of the prop. I do carry a sea anchor- little weight, haven't had to use it yet, but there's a LOT of sail on the catalina, should the engine not start.

Biggest problem I had in transitioning from a taildragger (land) was my trying to land as the waves said I should, rather than as the wind said I should.  I did my transition down in key west- seeing the sharks in the water gave you incentive for a better landing.. but the sponge looked like rocks to me. 

-Jack

Austin, TX

1 person likes this