Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cabane installation

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Is a given PITA??? How many people does it take???

Picture of the strut with the added slot and spring mod....

20171009_194633.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

If those are the same springs that I got you may want to put 1 to 1.25 inches of pre load on them otherwise you might have a real saggy plane That was my first attempt at least.

Posted

Those are the ones that Leni told me to get. Skidoo rear springs if I remember correctly. AirDale bush gear mod to 2" travel.

I am getting a buddy (an AI) to help me. One of us has to pull and while the other manipulate awls and centering punches. May require long wood clamps too???

I think "cabane" is French for "pain in the ass"!!! :lmao:

Posted

get a set of spring compressors. you might be able to borrow some from your car mechanic or else order them off of ebay or amazon.. or build them yourself if you like to weld :)

that's what you use on cars when changing springs or shock absorbers on coilover suspensions. 

ak3841.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

on a second thaught.. maybe some heavy duty zip ties might do the trick, depending on the load of your springs. 

Posted

I am having problems getting the cabane mated with the front gear and the front attachment points. One side took me a while to juggle it around so I could get the bolts in. I just need some help to persuade it into place. I have an awl trough the other side... But it is going to take some work to get a bolt in it! Using awls, line up punches etc.

Thanks anyway. BTW I used the smaller size winch straps to compress the springs as mentioned by a member on here. It is nice to find good advice!

Posted

That seems to be the common issue.  Here is how to build a simple tool and while you are at it make one for installing the wings. Take an old bolt (1/4") for the cabane that is long enough to fit all the way thru. Cut the head off and taper the threaded end.  This becomes a drive thru lineup pin.  Drive it into position and then drive the pin out with the bolt.  That will make the job doable but if the alignment is really bad you may need to convince it with your drill or actually tweak the cabane a little to make it fit.  Been there, done that, now I have different custom mounts and cabane that actually fits.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Paul! That is sort of what I did, put one bolt in backwards and drove it out with the other. I'll make one with a point for the other side because it is going to be a booger!