Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What kind of aluminum are the control sticks?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I am converting my plane into a single seater sitting in the middle, I just received a piece of the correct diameter and wall thickness 4130 (7/8" .058") that I was planning on using to modify the stick, but then I hefted it and the stick and surprise surprise the 4130 felt way too heavy in relation to the stick. A magnet confirmed that the stick isn't steel.  So do you guys know what type of aluminum the sticks are made out of? My guess would be either  6061 T6 or 2024 T3? Given that it's aluminum instead of trying to cut out the middle and weld a piece in I'm thinking it's probably easier to just bend up a new stick. Anyone ever done that and have some pointers?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you read my post, read Nicks.  He is no doubt right.  I deleted what I said. 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Actually, the stick should be able to hold against you pulling fairly hard against the stops, so you don't bend the controls or jam them with a big force. The Fed and Military regulations wisely require a pull test like that (flight control proof and operations testing) and I think Dean built that into his sticks and controls, which are pretty nicely designed.

Posted

They are 6061 t-6  I welded on 1 inch to mine  2024 sucks to weld on.

Posted

Actually, the stick should be able to hold against you pulling fairly hard against the stops, so you don't bend the controls or jam them with a big force. The Fed and Military regulations wisely require a pull test like that (flight control proof and operations testing) and I think Dean built that into his sticks and controls, which are pretty nicely designed.

I think you misunderstood the question. I'm converting the aircraft to single seat with me sitting in the middle. In that configuration the stick is under my leg. I want to make a new stick that is bent so that it comes up in the middle just like that guy who did the same thing to his avid A model.  

They are 6061 t-6  I welded on 1 inch to mine  2024 sucks to weld on.

Thanks that's what i was asking for. 

Posted

According to FAR23-397 the stick should be able to take the forces:

JAR23-397.png

2 people like this

Posted

Willja67, keep me posted if u would on ur project, i also am seriously thinking of doing the single seat super light kitfox model 1, ser#0048, mayb a yamaha or artic cat motor, newer model wings i have, and building my own modified extended supercub gear with the shocks simular to a superstol. Just for my little toy. Hahahahaaaa