Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Early kitfox brake upgrade.

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there an easy or inexpensive brake caliper that can be used on the older foxes  All I'm see are complete swap outs and they are spendy  

Posted (edited)

I got to tour the Matco factory recently and they had a demonstrator that showed the difference that proper pedal geometry has on brake pressure. It's eye opening. The right pedal has crappy geometry the left pedal has correct geometry. You get to sit in the seat push on each pedal and watch a pressure gauge and even though you may be applying the same force to each pedal what reaches the caliper is way different ( should have taken a pic, sorry). Anyway I have a kitfox 1 and measured the pedals on mine and the mechanical advantage of the stock pedals is only 2:1. George Happ of Matco recommends at least 2.5:1. So I designed some new pedals. Haven't finished them yet and it'll be awhile before my plane is actually able to use them but here is my design:20190420_175332.thumb.jpg.d9d3c0f7a3dbad20190420_175406.thumb.jpg.5d035f3113044eI'm using 1/8" 6061T6 aluminum angle riveted together with bronze bushings and a 4130 axel. In the top pic the left aluminum piece attaches to the master cylinder.  The idea was to make something that was fairly easy to fabricate with simple tools and doesn't require welding, and be lightweight. I haven't pulled the original pedals off yet and weighed them but I will when i get around to it. 

Edited by Willja67

Posted

Thanks Willa that's awsome  I think I will do something similar. I love the look of them as well. I've been thinking about dropping into matco myself next time I'm in salt lake.