Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Covering Supplies

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am getting ready to start the covering on my Avid, I have already cvered the tailfeathes with poly fiber and have more than enough dacron, my question is how much polybrush, polyspray and polytone is required to cover the Dacron. I realize that since I have some your answers may not be exact but I would rather place this order at once before the winter temps make it impossible for me to do the job, If anyone has covered any model even a Kitfox I will take those estimates too, I need to order enough without orderig too much and wastig it. Thank you in advance.

Posted

I am getting ready to start the covering on my Avid, I have already cvered the tailfeathes with poly fiber and have more than enough dacron, my question is how much polybrush, polyspray and polytone is required to cover the Dacron. I realize that since I have some your answers may not be exact but I would rather place this order at once before the winter temps make it impossible for me to do the job, If anyone has covered any model even a Kitfox I will take those estimates too, I need to order enough without orderig too much and wastig it. Thank you in advance.

I will go back and check my records, but I think I used 2 gallons of poly brush, 2 and a half gallons of poly spray and 2.5 gallons of poly tone. The worst thing you can do is keep hosing layers on and try to hide the weave of the fabric. It is a fabric plane, and you should be able to see the fabric, especially if you are using poly tone. What colors are you using? For most colors, they all look better and brighter if you start with a base coat of white, then shoot you top coat on that.

I used a turbine HVLP gun that puts most of the product on the surface not in the air (I love that gun) so I had very little overspray and waste.

:BC:

Posted

I just painted my Skyraider and it took about what Lenny said,I used the Stewart Systems but it still takes about the same total of product.Definately use white for a base coat,I used the grey fillerand my Royal Blue looks purple in the sunlight and the yellow stripes look gold.It looks ok but not what I had imagined.If you go on Kitfox website they have a material list for a covering job,it is in their parts catalog.Good Luck Randy

Posted

I was figuring to start with a white base and if enough wasleft over see how much red I can add to the design

I will go back and check my records, but I think I used 2 gallons of poly brush, 2 and a half gallons of poly spray and 2.5 gallons of poly tone. The worst thing you can do is keep hosing layers on and try to hide the weave of the fabric. It is a fabric plane, and you should be able to see the fabric, especially if you are using poly tone. What colors are you using? For most colors, they all look better and brighter if you start with a base coat of white, then shoot you top coat on that.

I used a turbine HVLP gun that puts most of the product on the surface not in the air (I love that gun) so I had very little overspray and waste.

BC.gif

Posted

I have an older HVLP Sharpe gun, prior t their finishline series, it does a real good job on paint using about half of what my old gun used It worked OK on the tail feathers but I think I went to heavy on the polyspray

I was figuring to start with a white base and if enough wasleft over see how much red I can add to the design