Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New engine

5 posts in this topic

Posted

This could be a good option for some. Low RPM with good Hp.

1 person likes this

Posted

I watched the video. Bad thing is that its 184 lbs, good for MK IV or model 3 and up. Otherwise sounds like a good engine with possibilities. I would guess its near impossible to get a four stroke down in weight. Jabiru did it and a couple others, but there is always a trade-off somewhere down the road. In my case, it would have been easier to upgrade my model 2 to a model 3 and went with a little heavier engine. True, it would still be listed as a model 2, but I would know. I am happy to see some new engines come on the scene, even if they are not compatible with a model 2.

Posted

So how much does a 582 weigh full of water with radiators, etc? Around 100#? I sure would like a 100hp 4 stroke!

Did I hear that right they were fixing to have a place in Mississippi? That's right next door!

Posted

Isn't this mostly a remodeled VW engine?  I believe the 582 full up ready to fly is about 135 lbs.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

According to the video, they make about everything inhouse for the engine. Block, crank, cyl's,etc. That's good in a way, but bad if you need parts and they aren't around. There have been several "wonder engines" come on scene for a short time and then fade away. Unfortunately there isn't too many common engines around for our type aircraft, a few but not a lot.  By common I mean run down to NAPA and get a part. Rotax is one of the few where parts are available, some at least, from local suppliers. Hirth is used in many military drones lately, which reflects in the price they charge. Lately, a weight reduction in the airframe is easier than finding more horsepower.