Avid STOL airfoil -some calculations

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Every take off I do is with full flaps.  Start the roll with no flaps, as soon as the tail comes up yank in full flaps and pull back on the stick.  Once in ground effect I will gain more speed and bleed flaps if I have room in front of me before really starting the climb.  If I have trees to clear I keep the nose pointed skyward as I slowly bleed flaps.

Every landing is also with full flaps unless nasty cross wind dictates otherwise.  The second the wheels touch I dump the flaps and she is planted on the ground and done flying.

:BC:

Posted

Wow!  Gotta try this!  Full flaps appears to only be a 10 deg or so deflection, so I reckon there's little concern for running out of roll authority.

Posted

I have mine dialed in for a bit more deflection.  My turtle deck is my control stop :lol:

:bc:

Posted (edited)

guys;

I have a very short airstrip, so short you can´t call it airstrip, just a patch of grass, my take off technic works pretty fine, standing still, WOT, no flaps, start ground roll until I reach 35Kt full flaps and it will jump in the air shorter than starting the ground roll with flaps; conversely when I coming in for landing as slow as I can full flaps; touch down at 37kt (I´m heavy @$$pilot) kill the flaps and it will stay on the ground; if I leave the flaps on, I will be hoping along until I run out of space.-

Playing with the flaps does have a good effect on short take off and landings.-

Though I would love to try the suggested modifications of Riblett on the undercamber to improve cruise speed without sacrificing the take off roll.-

Regards

Dimi3

Edited by wolves200