Leaky tank repair

3 posts in this topic

Posted

A fellow here with a KF 4 had one of his tanks leaking and I suggested coating with Caswell Tank Sealer.  I an happy report that he was successful by removing the wing and rolling it for about a half hour with two people.  Long term will give the Paul Harvey to this operation, sorry The Rest Of the Story, for those of you that did not grow up hearing him on the radio.  This is the product that I used to coat my tanks before installing them.  It also makes them alcohol proof, not that I would put that junk in my tanks without being in a jam somewhere.

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Posted

I hope it works long term.  I've heard to many stories of it delaminating and clogging the fuel system after several years.  It is almost impossible to get something to bond when you don't have the opportunity to prep the surface first.  But if it buys you several years, then it is probably worth it.  If you start seeing debris when you sump the tanks after this, it is probably time to replace them.

Looking through the logs on my Cherokee, I found they did this to the tanks, then replaced the tanks about 5 years later.

Posted

This product is nothing like Kreem, KBS or the other tank sealers out the it is 

• 2 Part Phenol Novolac Epoxy
  • That said proper prep is definitely a big component of any system
  • He does know to keep his eye on the repair.