Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 670

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody on here know their 670s. 

Posted

I have been playing with one on a buddies KF IV  Lots of power on take off but we are having cooling issues with it.  Hope to get some more time on it in a couple of weeks.

Posted

Did he do it himself. Or is it a rotax rick motor. If so what year motor did he use. 

Posted

its a rotax rick engine.  Not sure on the year.

Posted

Im not 100% sure but i belive its a 94-96 block, has to b the block with a small hole ( think the timing hole) in the upper half of the mag end of case, same hole as on a 582 that usually has a yellowish color rubber plug in it. 

I belive that what Rick had told me, ive chatted with him about the 670 some as id like to have one in my next model 1 build #0048 if i dont decide on a yammy motor

Posted

I've been getting some info from guys flying them and I'm sold. I know the 94 case is best but I'm wondering if 95 or 6 are doable. It's been hard to find a 93 94. I'm sure it will happen I'm just anxious. I already have a pipe on order for it. I'm going to bore it and run 79mm pistons with this pipe and it's supposed to dyno well over a hundred horse. 

Posted

I have read the only the 1993 or 1994 Rotax 670 engines will work with the Ducati dual ignition and also have Provision 8 case for mounting the gear box.

Who is the pipe builder you went with? Cost?

Posted

I used Rotax Rick, and swapped my 582 for the zero time 670. He recommended Mike Hair in Utah to do the pipes, Mike took my 582 muffler and modified it, making a perfect fit. He was not expensive at all. Here is the finished product:

IMG_0642.JPG

4 people like this

Posted

Mike is hopefully doing mine. He is getting ready to step away for a year or so. I'm hoping he can get mine done. He said his boys might take it over also. I'm not worried about dual ignition.  I'm going to run the hotter snowmobile ignition anyway. 

Posted

Unless you flying over flat open ground where everywhere is a potential landing strip, I would think twice about single ignition.  The aircraft engines came out with dual ignition for a valid reason.  

Getting every ounce of power out of your sled is one thing.  It is easy to tow back to the truck and load up.  It is not so easy on an airplane.  

At the end of the day, its yours to do with as you choose, good luck and I hope it works out well for you.  There is a fairly long list of people that is has not worked out so well for.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Rotax 670. Bored 1mm over. C box 3:1 getting ready to go. Mike Hair pipe  

AC5FBD90-0216-40EA-A00C-EA20E6A088BD.jpeg

F0336611-8EA8-400E-A048-C0AE2188D622.jpeg

75D0BE39-B406-4EA3-AD6A-90144EF1B531.jpeg

Edited by Browning
2 people like this

Posted

Doing a snowmachine engine conversion/update for ur plane, very cool, i want to install a 670 down the road also.  So r u doing the dual ignition swap also? 

Posted

Im not. I’ve done my research and received instruction from some very accomplished local pilots who have had excellent results with the 670 and the standard sled ignitions. I know there is plenty of disagreement here. I will be installing the engine and working through the final steps soon. My mentors have given me a tone of head starts down to almost the exact set up that works. Hopefully I am able to duplicate there success. It’s basically a 100 hp engine for under 2000. Got the starter on today. Need to drill and tap holes for the pyros. When your ready to go buck I will tell you everything I’ve learned. 

BD52120A-4EC0-4187-8D00-230F5F71EF14.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Well she's all buttoned up with about 6 hrs taxi and set up time on her. Pitched the prop to about 6800 rpm. May go higher for horsepower later on. She runs great with the warp drive prop. 72 inch 3 blade. Should be in the air soon. 

20191024_210455.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Without naming names. One of the most influential pilots on my build has just done something amazing in his 670, they call them 720 because they are bored over. He lives here in utah and his brother lives in Alaska just outside of Fairbanks. His brother bought his kitfox 2 with the 670 so my friend flew his plane from Utah to Fairbanks Alaska. He got there it I think 7 days and the photos and journey were epic. The 670 is now flying around Alaska just south of Fairbanks. Gives a little street cred to the 670. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Browning, im just now getting close to starting the 670 build in #0048. Good news on the one ur buddy has floup here and did good, im 6 miles outside Fairbanks in Ester, id love to checkout ur buddies bird, mayb talk with him and u some about ur setup.  Im going to do a 670, Ebox, 3blade warpdrive prop, extended gear, enlarged tailfeathers, fuselodge backbone, but its only going to b a single seat moved to center. 

Posted

You bet buck give me a call anytime. I will pm you my number. 

Posted

Following this closely wanting to do the same thing myself with a 670.Sent a PM to you Directly Browning. Looking forward to hear the details on what you have done.

Posted

Highest performing airplanes that never leave the airport pattern.

Posted

Highest performing airplanes that never leave the airport pattern.

Except that he already said one flew from Utah to Alaska... I know there are many that don’t but obviously some do. 

Posted

Hey Browning

I am very interested to hear what exactly you did to your engine.What parts were used? What did you do about mounting to the crank as for the different taper ? Some more questions after I get these answered. Thanks Bob

Posted

Bob I had the taper on the gearbox machined to match the shaft of the 670. Mike hair in Idaho did the machining he is kind of the 670 expert. I as also bored the pistons 1mm over . Put all new seals in.  Then you have to machine a few edges of the mate the gearbox up. Mike also made me a custom pipe. A few guys including rotax rick make pipes for the . Then I finished it with a three blade warp drive prop. 

Posted

any flight reports yet?  

Posted

Lots of ground time and taxi time . Havnt left the ground yet.  Everything is running great so far. 6800 max rpms is what I have her pitched to. Just put a matco tail wheel on.  Going in the air soon. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Did you do any crank work? Change Rods?  I found a 93, 670 in pretty sweet cond for this project.Thinking I want a clutch on it. What did Mike charge you for the machine work and Pipe? I am sure Mike's number is here some where on the forum and or might you have it? Thanks for the reply

Edited by skyrangerbob
added question