Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Walmart Aircraft Air conditioner

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Wondering through walmart and found this Air conditioner  looks to be build for aircraft use.

0505191154.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Uses water, not really an airconditioner. Basically a small swamp cooler.

Posted

It has 2X cooling power. Might be too cold for an Avid :)

Posted

Might work if you are flying in Phoenix.  Florida or Alaska, not so much.  It will just make you wetter.

I remember years ago Universal Studios in Orlando put the misting fans at the wait lines - they worked great at the California location, so let's put them in Florida too!  Probably somebody getting a kickback from the fan manufacturer, or else just plain stupid. 

They did a great job of getting you wet, but didn't cool at all.  Hard to get any evaporation cooling when the humidity is already 80%.

3 people like this

Posted

You put ice in the cooler. I saw one on JC Whitney like that one time.

Posted

That was my thought too a blue ice pack where the water goes It is from walmart so you do have to think out side the box.

Posted

That was my thought too a blue ice pack where the water goes It is from walmart so you do have to think out side the box.

The amount of cooling from a pound of blue ice is so insignificant it is unmeasurable. The whole Walmart Air Conditioner idea is junk.

1 person likes this

Posted

The amount of cooling from a pound of blue ice is so insignificant it is unmeasurable. The whole Walmart Air Conditioner idea is junk.

Yep, I have one of the ice chest coolers.  Works great for about 1.5 - 2 hours in Florida.  That takes 22 lbs of ice.  1 lb of ice wouldn't even get the water cold. 

Mine circulates the ice chilled water through an oil cooler that with a bilge blower to force air through the oil cooler.  It won't cool the cabin, but a cool breeze in the cockpit is a big help when taxiing, and since the water is all sealed, it doesn't add to humidity in the cockpit.

1 person likes this