Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GPL Starter For 582

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I ordered a GPL Electric Starter Delux Kit from Aircraft Spruce for my Avid C. 582. Haven't received it yet  but am starting to wonder if it will fit  or if the motor mounts will be in the way.

Edited by Dennis Davis

Posted

Something is always in the way when you add more stuff ! 

Posted

I ordered one for mine.  You will have to cut the mount and modify it.  I was going to do it on mine so I could have recoil back up but the kids had a party at the house while I was gone at work and that along with a ton of other stuff was stolen.

:BC:

Posted

I haven' received mine yet.  I'm hoping that I will be able to install it without bumping in to motor mounts.  What modification do you think you'll have to make?  My welding skills are just awfull.

Posted

I can promise you that it will not fit without modifications.  I decided that to me it was not worth the hassle.  If I remember right, there was issues with clearing the cross tube on the firewall as well but I can remember exactly.  Sorry to be a downer, but its just how it is.

Posted

Dennis, what is your problem with the regular style starter and the box in the firewall?  JImChuk

Posted

I acquired the a/c with only a pull starter, and can't start it.  I ordered the GPL starter kit from Aircraft Spruce based on price and user reviews.  I have since learned from AKFLYER that installation will be problematic.  I may have to return it and order the genuine Rotax starter.  I don't mind cutting into the firewall, but would rather not mess with motor mounts.    Dennis

Posted

Did you buy Matt's Avid speedwing?  JImChuk

Posted

That's the one.  I'm thrilled to have it.

Dennis

Posted (edited)

While I was using premix, my plugs needed to be pulled then shaken & blown out prior to flying, or the engine wouldn't start.  Even going to the extended tip plugs didn't solve the problem.  After putting the oil injection system back in play this problem has totally disappeared.  I have the pull-start.  It saves weight, not only from the starter itself, but the battery as well.  I don't consider a restart while flying as feasible, however.

Edited by Turbo

Posted

How big of a deal is it to put a regular starter on and, how large of a box do you have to build? I still have a string puller and just wondering how much trouble. It runs as is, but for the first start I stand outside and pull with both hands. I have to give it a bit of throttle and you have to be quick to back it off. I will say it usually starts with one pull. And wheels chocked of course. 

While I was using premix, my plugs needed to be pulled then shaken & blown out prior to flying, or the engine wouldn't start.  Even going to the extended tip plugs didn't solve the problem.  After putting the oil injection system back in play this problem has totally disappeared.  I have the pull-start.  It saves weight, not only from the starter itself, but the battery as well.  I don't consider a restart while flying as feasible, however.

Mine does that anyway if you let it sit for a while. Even with the oil pump. With the engine inverted, there is so much residual oil in the crankcase it will eventually ooze past the rings.