Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid high camber wing modifications

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys, 

here a great video of one avid owner who decided to go for many mods on his high camber stol wings.....airfoil shape/fuel tank/ailerons and flaps install/wingtip mod  etc....

Posted

This guy just likes to design and build. Since he already owns a Rans, this is his pet project. Most would have just bought another plane that they wanted instead of the investment that he will have in time and money on this project. But will have to take my hat off to him, he definitely has determination and fortitude.

Posted

Experience with models??? :ph34r: 5 or 10 gallon header tank though? ???

Each to his own I guess. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Posted

WOW!

It was very surprising to see my Avid Model B N234cv in Canada.

I totaled this aircraft on a particularly challenging backcountry strip in the High Sierras. It was not a ground loop.

I'd like to offer some corrections to your commentary with the video.

I agree that the tanks can not take ethanol type auto fuel due to the resin type, but there are many issues with ethanol that prevented me from using is such as phase separation and carb icing at a higher ambient temperature to mention a few.

The tanks are not 10 gallons, but 14-gallon capacity which was plenty for the Jabiru 2200 I was using. With the engine leaned out I could fly 10 hours straight with the exception of my bladder capacity.

I sold the wreckage to a person at Whitman Field here in SoCal for a mere $995. That saved me having to scrap it out.

AVEMCO totaled it due to the frame bending at the steel rods up in the top of the cockpit.

I replaced it with an Avid MK 4 which has the extra legroom I enjoy. 

You will notice a lack of legroom and poor clearance between the top of the pedals and the firewall crossbar. This can be an issue when your toe hits the top bar when trying to avoid a ground loop.

The under chamber was not designed for speed but for a low stall. My friend has an Avid with the flat bottom wings and he cruises a bit faster than me, but also stalls at a higher speed. 

I am looking forward to seeing your progress on my old friend.

John M

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ian (maker of this video) is a member here (ibange).  So hopefully he can chime in on this post.

He is also making up Yamaha Apex wire harnesses for people and supplies harnesses for Wild West Yamahas.

And yeah he must really love to tool around with things!  All those mods are cool but that is why I shopped for a KF5... so I can just have most of that already done and putting me closer to flying ;)

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Yup that's my build! Addressing a few comments in no particular order...

Most people would have started with a new kit, yeah you're right Allen and trust me, the comment "why didn't we just buy a X kit" has come up multiple times between my father and I. End result is that we're betting we can be ahead in money, if not time. It would have been far easier to buy a highlander/kitfox/S7 kit and modify it and in fact we got as far as speccing an entire highlander kit which would have then received custom ribs but we sat looking at a $30+k bill and just decided there was no way we were going to spend $30k on materials. You're also correct, I'm lucky enough to have access to another aircraft so I'm not lacking a very nice plane to fly while I build mine.

As for the header tank, it depends on the wing tank ultimate volume and also how the balance comes out. I may use the header tank to adjust CG aft if necessary. My goal is to be able to fly to an event like the high sierra fly in, fly around AT the event, then fly back out to fuel if I'm far in the back country. My apex will burn as much as 5gph so if I can only have 30 gallons on board and I'm an hour from fuel, that means that including a 30 minute reserve I can only fly for 3hrs while I'm out somewhere. If I can push that to 40-50 gallons of capacity that gives me options. Its not really usable in one sitting but that's not what I'm designing the plane to do. 30gal is kind of my floor, I'd rather not go lower than that. I'll have to see what I can get into the wings for capacity.

Good to see you here John! We actually talked briefly on the phone when I bought the plane. The wreck was described as a ground loop to me but he was trying to sell me the plane! To be fair he did a good job of repairing the damage, I just didn't fit in it. The tanks were 14gal? That's not how they were marked on the sides when I got it. I didn't actually try to fill them to test though since I knew I was going to run auto gas for my yamaha.

I'll try to keep an eye over here if any other discussion comes up!

1 person likes this

Posted

As I remember I had 5 and 10-gallon marks on the tanks just as a reference as to what fuel is left in each tank.

You noticed the VGs on the wing. I don't have them on my MK5 Avid because the flaperons work well as slotted flaps when deployed. The VGs allow a higher AOA on touch down, but that just causes the tail wheel to hit first which is too much stress on the tail spring. She touched down at 38 MPH so no need for the VGs on my MK4.

The flaperons also worked as "trimerons" in cruise without any reduction in speed. For trim on landings, I had a spring from the seat carry through to the stick which worked well.

I have flow N234cv all over the Idaho backcountry. What a blast. 

I have done the same with my MK4. Between the model B and the MK4 I have accumulated a little over 4,000 hours of great fun.

I have heard that someone has bought the rights to Avid and will be producing kits in Iowa, but so far it seems not much progress.

I am currently removing my 1750 hour Gen 2 Jabiru engine and replacing it with the Gen 4 2200.

The earlier engines had a robust bottom end, but the top end had some valve and rocker lubrication issues.

Can't wait to see the final finish on your plane.

John M