Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail Wheel

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Im sure there is already a bunch of info on this forum on this topic,but since we are on tailwheel stuff I will ask a dumb question.I have a Matco 6 inch tailwheel on my Skyraider build I read somewhere that the wheel does not break away until 40 degrees of travel.I check my rudder and it only travels 35 degrees before it hits the stops,I saw that they make some levers for a 25 degree release,is this what I need? By the way nice video Leni,looks like a fun place to fly. Randy

Posted

I have the opposite problem which might be of interest to you.

My tailwheel releases too easily due to the rudder stops being ground back too far. If the wheel releases at 40 degrees and the rudder is at 35 degrees, meaning that you need to add brake to get the wheel to release. Without this need for brake, the wheel will release with only rudder travel making the plane swivel too easily causing loss of control and then, getting it to re-engage is very difficult.

I have shims set up on the rudder stops to keep this from happening on mine...

Posted

I have the opposite problem which might be of interest to you.

My tailwheel releases too easily due to the rudder stops being ground back too far. If the wheel releases at 40 degrees and the rudder is at 35 degrees, meaning that you need to add brake to get the wheel to release. Without this need for brake, the wheel will release with only rudder travel making the plane swivel too easily causing loss of control and then, getting it to re-engage is very difficult.

I have shims set up on the rudder stops to keep this from happening on mine...

I talked to George at Matco today and he said I should definately try it first before making any changes so I will give it a try. Thanks Randy

Posted

I talked to George at Matco today and he said I should definately try it first before making any changes so I will give it a try. Thanks Randy

Try it and see what you think stock first. I went with the other arms just because I like my wheel releasing easily. They are easy to change and pretty cheap if you decide you want to change later on. The 35 degrees of rudder travel vs the 40 degree release is only true if your at a perfect 1:1 ratio. It all depends on the length of your arms, the angle of your spring, ect, ect. Good luck with your set up.

Posted

Try it and see what you think stock first. I went with the other arms just because I like my wheel releasing easily. They are easy to change and pretty cheap if you decide you want to change later on. The 35 degrees of rudder travel vs the 40 degree release is only true if your at a perfect 1:1 ratio. It all depends on the length of your arms, the angle of your spring, ect, ect. Good luck with your set up.

Your right Joey,I dont have 1 to 1 ratio,the rudder moves more than the tailwheel so dont have a clue what I want until I try it.Ive got my takeoffs in the Vagabond down a little better so when the time comes I,ll see what happens.I used to think some of the tailwheel pilots around here were on some kind of an ego trip but now I think they earned it.Man it didnt come as easy as I thought.Randy