Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ribs

9 posts in this topic

Posted

hi there,

at the time the wing is just in begining(ribs stuck on spares,drag tubes): i'm thinking of transforming my speed in stol wing, or just extend speedwing?

i try catch info everywhere, and i found just one positive opinion about extended wings: it is yours Leni. The fact is i can't buy a complete wing kit, and have to do the right choice for my short field.

i wonder if it is possible to replace a complete set of ribs on wing? what is the best way to unstick old ribs and place the new between spares and drag tubes? :beerchug:

Posted

hi there,

at the time the wing is just in begining(ribs stuck on spares,drag tubes): i'm thinking of transforming my speed in stol wing, or just extend speedwing?

i try catch info everywhere, and i found just one positive opinion about extended wings: it is yours Leni. The fact is i can't buy a complete wing kit, and have to do the right choice for my short field.

i wonder if it is possible to replace a complete set of ribs on wing? what is the best way to unstick old ribs and place the new between spares and drag tubes? :beerchug:

I have the extended aerobat wings. The plane flys great but I've never flown the STOL wing version. On mine takeoff and landing is truley as short as I would ever need. I havnt done a steep climb yet but at 70mph it shows 1000fpm climb. I cruise at 90mph on 5300 rpm with the 582. Stall is 40mph but my plane has alot of extras and empty weight is just under 600lbs. I'm pretty damn sure the speed wing and aerobat wing are the same airfoil but the aerobat has thicker spars and struts with more ribs. My buddy just bought a speedwing c model and after flying mine he is ordering the wing extensions.

Ben N85AY

Posted

I have the extended aerobat wings. The plane flys great but I've never flown the STOL wing version. On mine takeoff and landing is truley as short as I would ever need. I havnt done a steep climb yet but at 70mph it shows 1000fpm climb. I cruise at 90mph on 5300 rpm with the 582. Stall is 40mph but my plane has alot of extras and empty weight is just under 600lbs. I'm pretty damn sure the speed wing and aerobat wing are the same airfoil but the aerobat has thicker spars and struts with more ribs. My buddy just bought a speedwing c model and after flying mine he is ordering the wing extensions.

Ben N85AY

your numbers sound good, as i espect less than 500lb on my C with minimum vfr instruments and noy too much washout, i can get better and Toff safely one pessenger on my 6% descent and 800ft long rnway... :fishing:

i got an other question i'd like to have point of views :

What about just working on tail of ribs to get a kind of flapp on airfoil? This can be easy to do even with flapperons rib tails...and with little amount of drag. further, this would add some AOA for slower Land and Toffs. See atachement..

post-192-1288117696159_thumb.jpg

Posted

hi there,

i wonder if it is possible to replace a complete set of ribs on wing? what is the best way to unstick old ribs and place the new between spares and drag tubes? beerchug.gif

If I were looking at replacing all the ribs, I would drill out the rivots on the drag tubes etc. and slide the old ribs off, then put the new ones on. You are probly looking at a couple hours worth of drilling on each wing. This would be much faster than trying to pull all the ribs apart, slide them inplace in peices, get everything aligned perfect, and re-gluing them. To remove the old ribs, you use a heat gun and soften up the old glue then pop it off with a putty knife.

The flaperons will get you all you need for slow flight, I would not mess with trying to droop the trailing edge, but that is just my opinion.

BC.gif

Posted

Why not get the Speedwing tip extensions?

Brett at Airdale sells many of these to improve the slow speed handling of the short wing, speedwing planes.

Posted

Why not get the Speedwing tip extensions?

Brett at Airdale sells many of these to improve the slow speed handling of the short wing, speedwing planes.

that's i want first, but i'd like the wing between stol and speed, and i realy wonder why this doesn't exist in avid worlds. Many speedwing criuse with a little flap on to lowering nose, why not give some flap to wings for all the time, and get hyper lift with less flapperon down for good rollrate.

I know playing with airfoil is risky, but thinking avid can fly with hyper cambered wing, the pitch moment of the "flapped wing" can't be more.

Anyway, i will discuss that with my odl engineer to see what he thinks about...

Posted

that's i want first, but i'd like the wing between stol and speed, and i realy wonder why this doesn't exist in avid worlds. Many speedwing criuse with a little flap on to lowering nose, why not give some flap to wings for all the time, and get hyper lift with less flapperon down for good rollrate.

I know playing with airfoil is risky, but thinking avid can fly with hyper cambered wing, the pitch moment of the "flapped wing" can't be more.

Anyway, i will discuss that with my odl engineer to see what he thinks about...

Most avids and kit foxes tend to be nose heavy. Without elevator trim, the quick fix is to run your flaperons REFLEXED (trailing edge pointed up). If you drop the trailing edge, you will creating a nose down pitch that you will have to carry lots of up elevator to counter act. Both of these will add drag. If you have the time to play with it, what can it hurt to try? Worst case, you strip the wing and go back to the original airfoil.

If it was me, I would put the tip extensions on and fly the hell out of it. I really enjoyed flying my buddies MK IV with the extensions. Great roll rate (better than my HH wing) and I could get in and out just as short. Stall was damn near the same speed on both planes, with mine edging his out by only a couple MPH.

:BC:

Posted

Most avids and kit foxes tend to be nose heavy. Without elevator trim, the quick fix is to run your flaperons REFLEXED (trailing edge pointed up). If you drop the trailing edge, you will creating a nose down pitch that you will have to carry lots of up elevator to counter act. Both of these will add drag. If you have the time to play with it, what can it hurt to try? Worst case, you strip the wing and go back to the original airfoil.

If it was me, I would put the tip extensions on and fly the hell out of it. I really enjoyed flying my buddies MK IV with the extensions. Great roll rate (better than my HH wing) and I could get in and out just as short. Stall was damn near the same speed on both planes, with mine edging his out by only a couple MPH.

:BC:

Sure you must be right, but it is hard to live with an unrealised idea hidden in your head :) i will wait and learn more about that.

Anyway, the major point is to not exceed empty weigh, and i'm little lost about what expecting. I see so many different weighs for planes coming from same kit round the net...

What can i espect with a model C standard, Vfr, hand radio, light paint?

What kind of improvements can i do to save weigh?

Can be a good deal to change my 582 electric starter + battery for a start rope?

Sorry for the full of questions before i start mounting plane, it is because i don't want to go in false direction

:beerchug:

Posted

Sure you must be right, but it is hard to live with an unrealised idea hidden in your head smile.gif i will wait and learn more about that.

Anyway, the major point is to not exceed empty weigh, and i'm little lost about what expecting. I see so many different weighs for planes coming from same kit round the net...

What can i espect with a model C standard, Vfr, hand radio, light paint?

What kind of improvements can i do to save weigh?

Can be a good deal to change my 582 electric starter + battery for a start rope?

Sorry for the full of questions before i start mounting plane, it is because i don't want to go in false direction

beerchug.gif

Mine came in at 581# empty (was kinda funny because it weight 581, has a 582 in the nose and is serial number 584). It was weighed on non certified scales, and next time home I am going to put it in a buddies hangar and hang it on his digital certified scale and see what it really comes in at for weight. I went light on the paint on mine, but went with Meduim fabric because I like to drag mine through the brush and small trees.. I wanted the extra tear resistance smilielol.gif According to the book, I only added a few pounds over all by going with the medium fabric. I am sure I can lighten it up more by getting rid of the heavy tires that I have also. I picked up a fiberglass panel for mine so I can get rid of the heavy aluminum panel that it came with. I also plan on gettting rid of some of the instruments in the panel and doing all I can to lighten it up, but I doubt I will ever get it as light as I would like it to be!

If you fly in cold weather, I would keep the electric start.

BC.gif