Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Exhaust Wrap

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody used the exhaust/header wrap to wrap their muffler inside the cowl? I used it on my Rotorway helio years back but it was outside the cowl. On the helio it worked good for keeping the heat from radiating everywhere but did cause the muffler to show signs of overheating after several hours of operation. First time I've had a two stroke inside an enclosed cowling and I know my outside mounted 503 still got pretty warm.

Posted

I would not wrap the exhaust since I have discovered ceramic coating. It's super clean looking super tough and really keeps the heat down. They coat the inside and outside of the header pipe(s) and the outside of the muffler. Heat reduction is nothing short of amazing. IMHO its the ONLY way to go. Recently my exhaust developed a random crack because of the way the pipe was bent in the first place. this was after coating. I repaired the header pipe correctly so it shouldn't break there again and sent it back for re coating. It came back like new.

For my whole 912 exhaust it was just over $100.00. My friend did a complete 582 exhaust for the same price. The inside/outside coating on the expansion chamber made all the difference in the world on his 582 install in his Rans S-6.

The company I use is Performance coatings in Auburn Wa. but I think there are a ton of places that do this throughout the US. It so happens they do the exhausts on all of Kenmore Air's exhausts on their seaplanes. Apparently the coating really prolongs the life of the exhausts in the marine environment.

Brad at Performance coatings recommended I coat in black as he said it is the most heat tolerant and holds up the best of the various colors. I'm sold on ceramic coating.

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

My muffler was already ceramic coated. Still it shows rust coming thru the coating. Plus you have to clear the coating prior to welding. So far, ceramic coating has notĀ sold me on it. The reason for the wrap was to eliminate some of the heat in the cowl. The less heat one has in the cowling, the better. Except maybe at -10 deg. The Kitfox cowling should have plenty of airflow thru it and mine has a good sized exit at the bottom, so there may not be an issue anyhow. I used the VHT spray on my 503 muffler and pipe and it did very well as far as rust. But one has to recoat every couple years. Anyhow, time will tell.

Posted

OK, Just thought I'd share my experience.

Chris

Posted

Thanks for the opinion. My muffler was exposed to the elements so that may have had some affect on it rusting. And a poor coating job might have been the cause, also. Some have had good experiences with it and some not so good.