Engine mount bushing

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

49AB1366-AEC7-483F-9C2A-C871B5885F04.thuI need to urgently replace my "582" type engine mount bushings. Looking for a reference and a supplier, preferably in europe... or dimensions and rubber characteristics (shores...) for make to order.

Edited by FredStork

Posted

Leading Edge Airfoils sells them.

1 person likes this

Posted

Standard Lord mounts. Your old one should have a number on it. Mine used 150PD-30 and the "150" number is the series "Diamond" in my case. Yours pictured are not Diamond. I have an Avid Flyer with a 582 but who knows how many variations in mounts they have had? I have no idea if my original ones were the right ones. The radiator mounts were also bad on mine so I tracked down new ones for those too. Sometimes you can search Barry mounts and find them listed also. The Lord Company is a good place to figure out exactly what you need and then once you have their part number you can hunt down a vendor in your part of the world. E-bay part searches may work also. Link here: http://lordfulfillment.com/pdf/44/PC7000_IndustrialParts.pdf#page=72

PC7000_IndustrialParts.pdf#page=72

1 person likes this

Posted

The mounts that Fred needs came as a sheet of rubber with the kit, and you cut them out yourself into a round shape.  My C model builder's manual just calls it 5/8" thick neoprene.  Same name in the parts list.  JImChuk 

2 people like this

Posted

I went up to the rubber store and had them cut out some. When I wanted a bit more preload, I had some thin ones cut and added them. When they asked what it was for, I told them mounts for an air compressor. I don't think they would have done it if I had said experimental airplane. :o

2 people like this

Posted

The mounts can be hand made from 5/8" neoprene sheet, I found 1" sheet on Ebay which could easily be sliced down. Here are the instructions from Joey's build book, section 4:

engine mount absorber detail.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you all.

With the exception of eventually Leading Edge Air Foils, I have not found anyone proposing an off the shelf solution. And yes, I have the indications about "5/8" thick neoprene" in the manual... but there is more than one sort of neoprene and there is no indication of hardness (shores).

Comparing with other bushings sold for this size 2 stroke I think the neoprene should be 40° shores. Anyone has a different opinion?

My old bushings were definitely too soft (and have not aged very well)

Bushings.thumb.jpg.9f03b55253e4a808a82a3

Posted

LEAF sells soft, medium and hard mounts.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I still have a sheet of five eights that I use for my motor mounts, will check tomorrow and get back to you 

2 people like this

Posted

I think I still have a sheet of five eights that I use for my motor mounts, will check tomorrow and get back to you 

sorry, I only have 3/4"

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your feedback on this.

Comparing with bushings for other planes I have concluded that a shores hardness around 40 for the "rubber" used might be appropriate. I have found an industrial model that appears to match in terms of size and after talking to the manufacturer I have placed an order. I will test and keep you updated. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4b38a898fe521218d10807e

Edited by FredStork
1 person likes this

Posted

Fred, can you post up the part number for the mounts you ordered?

Posted

I sure can...

Paulstra 530903-21 / Barry Control 22002-11

and as mentioned I will test when they arrive and post the outcome. They appear to be the right size, to be confirmed. And we will see about the hardness...

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you.  I just ran the numbers they show and they seem to be a smaller diameter than the current neoprene ones that the book calls for.  I am going to swing by the rubber supply house tomorrow and see what I can find for the mount rubber to make new bushings for mine.

Posted

I sure can...

Paulstra 530903-21 / Barry Control 22002-11

and as mentioned I will test when they arrive and post the outcome. They appear to be the right size, to be confirmed. And we will see about the hardness...

I think you will be fine with the industrial models. I didn't give a specific part number mostly because I calculated what I needed. I took the total weight of my motor, propeller, gear box, muffler and starter and added it up and divided by 4 to give me the static load for each bushing. Then I browsed through the sizes I needed until I found one with the weight and size requirement. Is that the right way? Maybe, maybe not. An airplane in a flight can pull several G's and a heavier rated mount may be needed. There's a range to these things so I guessed using the static weight as the low limit. I also think you could slightly vary the mounts with two of a different density to play with dampening sub harmonic vibrations from the propeller at low rpm's. If you guess too high you defeat the purpose of rubber mounts and the vibrations get passed along to the air frame.

Did you notice the video on the "Lord" mount website that had a camera watching the mount in an aerobatic airplane? The G forces do come into play on these mounts. A camera may be handy in finding the best rubber shore number for our type of aircraft.

Posted (edited)

I went home for a day in the middle of my hitch at work for an EAA fly in BBQ.  While I was there I hit the local rubber supply place and all they had was 3/4" 60 shore neoprene.  

Back up.. Since I got the bird back in the air a few weeks ago It had a vibration I was not liking.  I rebalanced the carbs and prop and still had a nasty vibration going.  Now back to the above story.

By the time I got home I had 2 hrs before the BBQ so I went to the drill press with 2 hole saws in hand that would give me an almost perfect fit to the original dimensions.  It took about 15 minutes to cut out all the needed donuts then a few minutes more to drill out the center holes with a 5/8" bit.  If I had to do it over again I would have heated up a piece of 1/2" tubing and melted the hole into the center but I was pressed for time.  The 4 smaller rubbers were still a tad large in diameter so I ran a bolt through them and tightened a nut on them, chucked them up in the hand held drill and ran them against the sanding wheel.  In seconds they were the perfect size!

I got out to the plane and loosened up the 4 mount bolts till the engine was sagging down a little then pulled one bolt at a time and swapped the rubber mounts out.  Tighten it all back down, safety wired the bolts and hit the starter.  SOOOOOOO much better.  The spinner was staying in one place and not bouncing up and down like it had been.  Shut down and put the cowl back on and went for a quick flight.  I am happy to say that I have my bird back and I am happy!  

Until I really got to thinking about this thread it never occurred to me to swap that rubber out.  For anyone who might be chasing a vibration issue think about doing this.  It cost me 65 bucks for enough rubber to make multiple sets of mount pucks and a couple hours of my time.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have tested for you - and it works!
(only for those who still believe in 2 strokes...)
It was time to replace the old engine bushings.

original_bushing.thumb.jpg.150c7666aadc9

Last time someone in the French Avid Flyer club had placed a grouped order at some rubber supplier...
After hours on the web I found this at Hutchinson Paulstra that appeared to be at least the the right size

new_bushing.thumb.jpg.512f1650d39cbd16c0

After talking to the manufacturer  https://www.paulstra-industry.com/mount-22000-p78-en.html

I ordered the the softest version (the mid section is enclosed in the engine mount and therefore constrains the movements they don't indicate a shores grade as this could be misleading). The model I ordered was the 530903-21.

model_530903-21.thumb.JPG.67863684ad873f

This is what they look like in real life. A little more sophisticated than our stamped out of a sheet version but with a similar (better?) end result.

new_bushings_real_life.thumb.jpg.b1d777a

They fit perfectly. The metal tube is larger than the original but the original tube fit perfectly inside it. I just made 2 washer for the rear attachments so the bushings will be equally compressed (or at least almost).

new_in_place_with_spacer.thumb.jpg.27617

And here is the good news... they work great. I have done multiple flights and now have much less vibrations. 
I feel comfortable recommending those...

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this