Battery

38 posts in this topic

Posted

What type battery are most using? I was using a Powersonic 18AH in my challenger but I'd like to stay with a local purchase if possible. According to my manual and experience, a 200-250 CCA should do the job so the only concern is as light as possible. It will most likely be mounted under the seat or close by. Right now the fuselage, minus wings is balanced on the tires, and I mean balanced. I can lay a wrench on the engine or tail and it will pivot on the gear. Never had one do that before. But that is with the tail up level.

Posted

Never seen anything like that before! Is it real?  We hillbillies have one leg shorter so walking is not a level headed experience for us. But we did have a level headed hillbilly one time, tobacco juice run out of both sides of his mouth.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've run a lawn tractor battery most of the time in my Avid.  Not real heavy, and priced right.... JImChuk

Posted

I was thinking a ATV/powersport battery. My model 2/Subaru had a Diehard in it at 22+ lbs. No wonder it weighed 725 lbs empty.  And it was mounted all the way in the tail. I wonder if it even flew at all.  Bet it was a bear to land.

Posted

I use a Walmart Everstart U-1 size with about 230 CCA, weigh about 17 lbs. Plenty of cranking power. Costs about $35

Posted

If you want light and POWERFUL you can't beat Earth X. I have put them in both my planes.  The downside is they are pricey but you knock.off 12 or more pounds have more cranking power and the list goes on and on.  They are local to you mailbox from CO USA.

Posted

Never seen anything like that before! Is it real?  We hillbillies have one leg shorter so walking is not a level headed experience for us. But we did have a level headed hillbilly one time, tobacco juice run out of both sides of his mouth.

I think I dated his sister. She was born with one leg shorter than the other so her parents named her Eileen. That short leg came in handy mushroom hunting on the side of steep hills.

1 person likes this

Posted

I knew her, Eileen Wright.

Posted

I knew her, Eileen Wright.

Didn't she marry one of the Case brothers?  I think his name was Justin?  :lmao:JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

As Mork would say "Human humor. AR AR".

Posted

Controversial yes. But there is a you tube video about converting a harbor freight lithium jumpstarter for use in a kitfox. Weighs nothing. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey there Browning - Got a name/address for that UTube  Video?

Posted

JImChuk

Posted

Thanx Jim - say do you also have a Challenger? I have a CH1 and KitFox1.

Posted

Never have had a Challenger.  Got a ride in one at Sun and Fun 2003 though.  JImChuk

Posted

$65 but might catch on fire, I think I will gladly pay the price for the Earth X.  Oh that's right I already did twice:lmao:

Posted

They aren't cheap, but I put an Odyssey in my 4 wheeler about 6 years ago. Never charged it and it ill fire right up. I like the AGM batteries as you can mount them anyway you want and they live a long time. When/if I put electric start in my Avid, it will get one for it.. I may get one to replace that led acid battery I have for my radio, etc. They won't last a year even on a tender. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I recently replaced my battery. I did a lot of looking around and went with the Odyssey Battery. Not as light as an Earth X but half the weight of a conventional battery and more than half the price of the Earth X. It has served me will the last year and didn't moss a beat after setting in the cold hangar all winter. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I found a Harley battery that will work. From Interstate Batteries that is 11 lbs. I can live with 11 lbs.

Posted

Yamma,

That battery seems awfully small, and they give no Amp-Hour sizing for it. I suspect it is an 8 AH (one responder said it was 96 watts, which at 12 V is 8 amps) about 1/4 the capacity of the typical tractor battery. The Harbor Freight is 12 AH (12,000 mAH).

1 person likes this

Posted

Well it is a "35" size which is at least physically big.  But you are definitely right, it would be good to have an amp-hr rating and it is probably smart to go with the one that I know better.

I love my antigravity start pack and this battery has a jump start function where it disconnects and holds reserve power for an extra start.  20amp-hr and says its good for cylce engines up to 2200cc and 700HP which is nice in case I decide to turbo this thing.

:lmao:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VWGY2N/?coliid=I3N3FT33EJ31S3&colid=3L2KAN071D6BB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Posted

A 20 amp Lion battery would be a perfect match for our airplanes. The resistance is much lower than lead acid, so the start current can be massive. But the smaller batteries can’t hold that rush of current for long.

Theres a YouTube video of a Kitfox guy who hacks the Harbor Freight to bypass the need to push its button on every start. He uses it as his only battery.

Posted

A 20 amp Lion battery would be a perfect match for our airplanes. The resistance is much lower than lead acid, so the start current can be massive. But the smaller batteries can’t hold that rush of current for long.

Theres a YouTube video of a Kitfox guy who hacks the Harbor Freight to bypass the need to push its button on every start. He uses it as his only battery.

Those of us that fly RC charge our batteries in fire proof containers for a very good reason. I'm not saying NOT to use a Lipo battery but if I did I'd be putting it in a fireproof battery container. They have battery charging bags that are cheap and light and you could fashion a protective case easy enough. The charging system on a normal car or airplane is not designed for the special requirements needed to properly charge and maintain a Lipo. If the charging system is altered for a Lipo battery and a fire proof box added you might end up with a safe and reliable system.

3 people like this