An interesting display of dynamic soaring.

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I was watching a very fast nitro powered RC airplane and had seen some very fast electrics and asked which is the fastest, nitro or electric powered? The answer I got was neither. Wind power beat them both and then I watched the clip he included. For others that have never heard of dynamic soaring there are some links in the description in the video and more in the comments for the video. https://youtu.be/MoaWlKC3wIM

1 person likes this

Posted

Holy cow!!! And I used to wonder how they kept up with really fast turbines!!! That thing is crazy!!! :o

BTW the RC planes I have, all but two are slow bush planes. I even have floats for them!

Posted

They are getting crazy close to going supersonic. The next build will include swept back wings to help it punch through the sonic barrier. I wonder what a sonic boom would sound like when generated by such a small craft? And since it's going back and forth in such a small area will the sonic boom perceived by the guy flying it be constant or repeat with each pass? There are student built rockets that go supersonic but they do it in one direction and at extreme height. I see why they have college professors studying this.

Posted

I was wondering if the transition to supersonic and the stresses involved if the structure would be up for it? I am sure they are CF so probably so...?

Posted

I was wondering if the transition to supersonic and the stresses involved if the structure would be up for it? I am sure they are CF so probably so...?

They are mostly carbon fiber. They sometimes use Kevlar for hinge material.