Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aluminum wing tank repair

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I just found the way Chris Bolkan repaired his fiberglass wing tanks here

I have an aluminum tank in the right wing of my KF1 that has been unused since the original sloshing compound had been flaking off which is easily visible looking in the gas cap. I have read that those aluminium tanks were very prone to leaking as the wing flexed and broke the welds. 

After just having found the above thread on cutting out a large portion of the bottom of the tank and then riveting a panel to the surface I'm wondering if i can't do something similar to my aluminum tank? Once the access hole is cut clean out the old sloshing compound and use proseal and flox on all the seams and then rivet the new bottom panel on it. 

I have no idea if the tank had developed leaks before the sloshing compound started flaking off but let's just assume it has or if it hasn't yet that it definitely will. Would this repair be something that you guys would trust your precious butts to?

Posted

I think if I was going to cut the covering open, I would put in a fiberglass tank.  I sloshed some aluminum tanks once, and they held  for a while, but eventually they started to leak again.  JImChuk

1 person likes this