engine mount engineering

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been looking at various engine mounts and I wonder just what engineering went into the 2 stroke mounts on our planes.  If you look at the jabiru mount it has half the or less tubes in it than the 582 mount.  A supercub mount or one for the 180 is the same (simple and a lot less tubes) and they are holding up a hell of a lot more weight and TQ.  So what gives, is there really a need to have all the bracing and tubes on the 582 mount that is there?  Me thinks the mounts are way overbuilt for what they are holding up :dunno:

Thoughts from the resident engineers on here?

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree completely, but I built my mount the same way, overbuilt. Why? Don't have a dang clue! It would probably support a John Deere tractor engine, yet it holds a 100 lb engine. And its held on by 5 1/4" bolts.

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,

which mount are you referring to? The iso mount or the original mount? Bryce

Posted

Leni,

which mount are you referring to? The iso mount or the original mount? Bryce

The original mount.

Posted

From some of the Yamaha mounts Ive seen (that are working just fine) and also my old highly cantilevered sub NSI mount, I would say that the most other mounts must be overbuilt.

Maybe draw something up that is very lightly built and run it through a FEM / FEA program to see what it is calculated to hold up to.

Posted

Oh and it always amazes me how strong steel is. When I was building my mount I kept asking myself if it will be able to hold 500-600lbs of thrust.  Then I realized that it really comes down to merely the THREADS on the AN4 bolts / nuts!

:o

2 people like this

Posted

for comparison, cub mounts, 180 mounts (including sea plane with additional brace) and the avid mounts.  The avid mounts have 2 to 3 times as many bracing tubes for an engine 1/3rd the weight and even less TQ.  

Avid mounts.jpg

pa-18 mount 2.jpg

pa-18 mount.jpg

180 mount.jpg

180 mount2.jpg

Posted

Leni,

Maybe because it is suspended from the mount rather than supporting it from underneath? What does a kit fox 582 mount look like? I much prefer the original mount over the dyna smooth mount which is heavier and more complex. Once we started running saber 100:1 premix and used a 55 idle jet, engine operation is as smooth with the original as with the dyna smooth.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think I want to be the first one to test a new lightweight Avid/Fox mount. What would be the advantage of a new mount besides a couple pounds weight savings. I agree a couple pounds is a sizable amount of weight to drop, but I assure you, pilots will add something they don't really need and add it right back. If we had all the stuff the catalogs said we needed to fly safe, we couldn't even get in the seat, let alone break ground.

2 people like this

Posted

It is not so much the weight as all the tubes in the way trying to rout cleanly etc.  I just cant imagine that all the extra bracing is truly needed when you look at what holds up MUCH larger and heavier engines.

Might have something to do with the higher RPM and resonance that may have induced cracking??  No clue, just one of the things that roll around in my head and I spit it out and put the thoughts on paper.  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,

Thats a great point about the excessiveness of the tubing, tho I don’t know To simplify it. 

Posted

Thing is, somebody with engineering sense came up with the design for a reason. Since kit makers like to boast about lightweight kits, it would seem logical that there is a reason for the excess tubes in the mount. Since I am not a aeronautical engineer, I'll take their design.

Posted

How about my engine mount, crazy complex

P1110982.JPG

P1110983.JPG

Posted

That's about the most complex one I've ever seen!

Posted

The reason for the additional bracing in a seaplane mount is for negative gs  pounding across the water, Paul S  had a G meter in his kit fox and  saw four gs  negative !!!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

FWIW, I took a long look at my Avid's motor mount, and considering the inertia and gyroscopic loads, movement of the thrust center at angles of attack and yaw, in addition to engine weight and G-loads etc. etc. I am glad that it's sturdy-looking, stiff against torques and side loads.  It's just one more thing I don't worry about.  However, I can't believe it really weighs very much.  It does get in the way of properly installing the upper cross-shaft oil line, though!

Edited by Turbo

Posted

It is not so much the weight as all the tubes in the way trying to rout cleanly etc.  I just cant imagine that all the extra bracing is truly needed when you look at what holds up MUCH larger and heavier engines.

Might have something to do with the higher RPM and resonance that may have induced cracking??  No clue, just one of the things that roll around in my head and I spit it out and put the thoughts on paper.  :lol:

Well I will add my ....expertise... to everyone else's that has posted here. It effectively becomes about the horizontal distance between the attachment points of the airframe and the engine and the leverage that can then be generated at/near the weld points to create points of force that effectively exceed the strength of the steel and lead to points of cracking that become lines of cracking and everything then goes for shit and breaks eventually. 

Posted

I haven't looked looked recently, but I think it's all about triangulation and some of the triangles in the engine mount complete structural triangles that begin in the fuselage. I believe it has to be looked at as a whole assembly (fuselage and engine mount) for everything to be completely triangulated.