Pilot side fuel tank

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I just got through with talking to brett about fuel tanks, he offered the wingtank model at $525 or a fiberglass ethanolproof tank at $650 I don't know if I made the right decision but I wnt with the wingtank model he said it would be about six weeks to get them in but I have other parts of the plane to work on . Which way would you have gone?

Posted

I just got through with talking to brett about fuel tanks, he offered the wingtank model at $525 or a fiberglass ethanolproof tank at $650 I don't know if I made the right decision but I wnt with the wingtank model he said it would be about six weeks to get them in but I have other parts of the plane to work on . Which way would you have gone?

Are both tanks fiberglass :dunno: If so, I would have gone ethanol proof, if I was states side. We dont have ethanol gas up here so I would be fine with the standard tanks. If he is building them new, then the resin used should be ethanol proof on both models of tanks.

:BC:

Posted

Are both tanks fiberglass :dunno:

The "Wingtanks" are made of roto-molded polyethylene, the same material and manufacture as most "plastic" gas cans.

Ethanol proof, as opposed to the fiberglass which is at best, ethanol resistant.

Posted

The "Wingtanks" are made of roto-molded polyethylene, the same material and manufacture as most "plastic" gas cans.

Ethanol proof, as opposed to the fiberglass which is at best, ethanol resistant.

cripes... Duhh, I am feeling a lil slow now. I forgot about the plastic wing tanks. I was kinda confused on the wingtank model versus the fiberglass :lol:

Posted

The only advantage I could see is the fiberglass ethanol resistant is a little larger, but since Brett is flying at approximately the same altitudes he thinks about 4.5 gallons per hour which brings me up to about 5 hours worth would be enough, the farthest flight I will probably ever make will be to oshkosh ad my bladder will give out before my fuel tanks, does that sound about right for fuel burn, I know there are alot of variables to consider but what are 582 guys burning

Posted

The only advantage I could see is the fiberglass ethanol resistant is a little larger, but since Brett is flying at approximately the same altitudes he thinks about 4.5 gallons per hour which brings me up to about 5 hours worth would be enough, the farthest flight I will probably ever make will be to oshkosh ad my bladder will give out before my fuel tanks, does that sound about right for fuel burn, I know there are alot of variables to consider but what are 582 guys burning

Sea level at 5800 I burn 5 to 5.2 GPH depending on OAT. At 3500' I burn right about 4.7 to 5. I rarely fly above 3500 unless it is to cross the inlet and that is only about 15 minutes flight time and I have not paid much attention to the fuel burn at 4500-5000 for those few minutes I am there (about the time I hit 5000 I pull the power and start the slow descent back to 50' AGL on the other side of the inlet.

Posted

Ok I finally have my plastic wingtanks in hand, and reading the instructions, I either need a 33/64 inch hole or a 1/2 inch hole. these have a rubber grommet with fittigs for the fuel lines that are just push on or in, has anybody done this or should I just take the risk, are these leak proof or am I going to have to worry about leaks, If they are a problem is there a better way of doing these? I know these are alot of questions that may be stupid, but low on dollars until they finally decide my disability status. Not asking for anything but information just to make that clear, I will sell what I need to in order to get my plane in the air.

Posted

I would have repaired the existing tank in place on the plane it can be done much more easily than replacement. The wingtanks option will weigh considerably more. That's not meant to criticize your choice, but if it is not too late you might wan to re consider. It is pretty easy to fix tanks in place and make it look professional.

A friend is building a Flat Avid and using the wing tanks solution. I have helped him on the install. We did a lot of testing of the tanks in place in the wing but not mounted in. We did the little plastic pop in fittings and the right angle small size couplers. The second tank fills WAY too slowly. We ended up drilling much larger holes (about a half inch if I remember correctly) and prosealing in pieces of 1/2 inch thin wall Al tubing straight between the tanks.

We flame treated the polyethelyne (not so hot it melted or anything) in order to prepare the surface to bond to the proseal. We did many tests with and without flame treating the poly and it really makes a huge difference in how well the poly can be bonded to the tubing. It makes a wonderful leakproof ethanol proof flexible connection that you will never have to worry about the integrity of.

There are now three or four (can't remember exactly) 1/2 inch diameter pieces of tubing connecting the tanks directly together and the flow rate between them is like one solid tank.

This really worked well. I can try to provide you with more info or connect you up directly with my friend who did this. I think he took photos and could advise you if he would have done anything differently. He is very happy with the decision to improve the flow between the tanks.

Chris Bolkan

Posted (edited)

I had a fiberglass tank on the passenger side of the plane and am leaving that, but I was not entirely comfortable with just one tank on the plane, looking at the price of 100LL around here versus mogas, it is about $1.25 cheaper and since I think these will be extra fuel instead of really required range I think the wingtanks should do the job. I welcome any information on the instalation of these wingtanks, I made my decision and right or wrong I am going to stick with them, I just want to make sure that I install them with the least chance of leakage possible slow fill I can live with, leaks I would rather not deal with.

Edited by Trackwelder