ID MT WY TRIP

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just returned from a trip to the back country.  Flew over two National Parks, six or more Wilderness Areas and an endless supply of Mountians. We went for breakfast at the RAF's fly-in at Ryan airstrip just out side of Glacier National Park on Saturday before flying into some of the BC airstrips.

Larry we ran into the fellow with the blue Carbon Cub from Santa Cruz, that you guys met at Dixie Town, at Ryan and also saw him !(Barry) at Meadow Creek a few hours later.

Great trip all in all, no breakdowns or incidents.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

Edited by wypaul
Photo change
4 people like this

Posted

That giant runway in the last pic looks like Johnson Creek. If it is, did you hike up and take a dip in the tub? And if it is did you make it into Yellowpine? Pretty quaint little community that comes to life with like 4000 people for the Harmonica Festival later in the summer which is a super fun party.

That area also has some of the best whitewater kayaking in the Northwest. One year we kayaked from the airstrip down Johnson Creek, into the East Fork South Fork, on to the South Fork, and finally onto the Main Salmon and took out just above Riggins Id. It's one of the best multi-day Class IV-V whitewater trips in the country.

I love that area.

Posted

Chris, I am an old whitewater guide, myself. On New River here in WV. Class III thru VI. Only have 2 class VI rapids, both on the Gauley river. Ran them both many times.

Posted

Yes that was taken at Johnson Creek.  We just stayed there over night this trip but usually make time to hike up to the hot tub as an afternoon activity.  We ride the bikes into Yellow Pine for a burger and a round of golf in the park.

looking at those drainages from the air I can see why it is such a popular place for white water activities. 

We had planned to camp at Smiley Creek on the first night but due to winds that could not pick a direction we ended up going into JC at 5:00Pm, that was western to say the least.  There is a reason that our flying is usually completed by early afternoon.

The other pictures are all in Montana in the Kalispell area.  Our trip was center around making it to a RAF fly-in at Ryan Airfield just outside of Glacier NP.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

We crossed paths with Barry and John twice.  Once on the ground at Dixie Town and once in the air when they were coming out of Elk City.

Sorry we missed you and Dallas.  I see he's done some paint work to the 'ol Yellow Fox...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Sorry we missed you as well.  Yes due to the fact that he was unable to match the paint he decided to upgrade. The paint scheme. 

Posted

A couple of shots from our trip...

69EAA624-7215-4BBA-954B-67F56E750878.jpeg

BFE4DE98-1642-4B10-A99D-966AC0F7DC94.jpeg

E2D7B026-E796-45AF-87D6-6F3E32B0839E.jpeg

75A6EB42-FC96-42D9-9D50-3D4CD29C2E44.jpeg

A0316F2D-6037-4673-9F35-FAE203E4FFB7.jpeg

5 people like this

Posted

Looks like you guys had a great time, thanks for posting the pictures!