What are these tabs?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've had the plane just shy of a year and just barely noticed these:

20190705_131240.thumb.jpg.b1639b5218cf4620190705_131538.thumb.jpg.58f2e634c1f6adthere is one tab mounted on the cross tube between the aft gear attach points and 2 tabs on the lift strut cross tube. The cockpit view is just to give a better idea where they are in relation to everything else. 

Edited by Willja67
Spelling

Posted

My guess would be either mounting for a belly pod or aerial spray application. 

Posted

My guess would be either mounting for a belly pod or aerial spray application. 

I wondered about a belly pod but dismissed that idea as there is only 1 tab on the forward tube. But maybe?  Does anyone else have these tabs or were they a custom mod by the builder or a previous owner?

Posted

My 3 had these,I assumed they something to do with the optional float setup?

Posted

Definitely for the chemtrail container, you don't want that stuff inside the cabin! 

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

As said above, they are to attach a cargo/belly pod.  There is a forth attachment point just in front of the right side of the control column.  For some reason ...maybe to do with the shape of the belly pod or something...that attachment does not hang downward through the fabric like the other three.  It is just a flat piece welded on to the fuselage tubes.  It has a hole in it to put an eye bolt through for the fourth attachment point. I back drilled a hole through it and up through the floor board before I covered the fuselage bottom so I could find it if needed later on.

Edited by tcj

Posted

As said above, they are to attach a cargo/belly pod.  There is a forth attachment point just in front of the right side of the control column.  For some reason ...maybe to do with the shape of the belly pod or something...that attachment does not hang downward through the fabric like the other three.  It is just a flat piece welded on to the fuselage tubes.  It has a hole in it to put an eye bolt through for the fourth attachment point. I back drilled a hole through it and up through the floor board before I covered the fuselage bottom so I could find it if needed later on.

20190705_172749.thumb.jpg.46ddb763c2cbb4I assume you mean this sort of triangular area? That's where my radiator bolted to, kinda hard for me to visualize how a cargo pod could be bolted here especially with the original landing gear. 

Posted (edited)

That plate might be what I was thinking of.  I must be remembering wrong.  Blame it on the 70s.  I'm 70 now.

Edited by tcj

Posted (edited)

That plate might be what I was thinking of.  I must be remembering wrong.  Blame it on the 70s.  I'm 70 now.

Well maybe not. I was thinking the cargo pod would be completely behind the gear since i was looking at the cabane on my new gear and thinking nothing would be forward of that but with the older gear you don't have that limitation. This is the only style of cargo pod a quick search turned up. I was envisioning something more like the cubs have.

Better not land too hard you could rip that right off with the bars the bungees wrap around. 

IMG_1684-800x499.jpg

Edited by Willja67

Posted

Primarily for float rigging.

Posted

The belly pod that akflyer bob has for his KF has a section molded in that the gear legs go in.  I keep threatening to pop a mold off his pod but its way down on the priority list.