Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any Avid flyer (speedwing) tricycle conversion kits/plans etc available?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Im thinking i may be better off making my speedwing "convertable" between taildragger and speedwing. I live inside the airspace of a class C airport (AVL). About  9 miles max from me im guessing. So problem. Id fly from an airport farther away that uses its towers but.. basically with an spl as i understand it i cant fly in AVL's airspace. Theres a local instructor who has every cert known to man who trains SPL's for 5k which is a great deal. And he has taildraggers. Theres another school here who will train in your plane for 60 an hour but i dont think they have anyone certified for taildragger , but are accomodating and are  considering spl. By my math i can pay the 5k and get the spl and just avoid the hell out of.. the entire area i live in. Or i can spend a few grand and make the Avid easily convertable (ie bolton gear) then spend 3-4k for ppls lessons then another 1 or 2k for daildragger cert and have a: a ppl. B: a speedwing i can switch over at will. Make sense? Any advice would be welcome

Dont get me wrong.. im less being cheap  than thinking this whole system is f***ed. I own a plane. It's the first type of plane. I have zero desire to fly to towered airports. But im supposed to pay 200 an hour so that i can fly planes i dont ever want to fly then more money to fly the aircraft i own..so that i can..be in the sky above my home... I have zero problem handing an A&P a few grand to make my plane so perfect the CFI is superhappy with it. Or paying fuel + 60-100 an hour straight to a cfi and flying in my plane. The system seems rather idiotic .
PS ive trained truckers. IF the trucking industry were this idiotic youd all be starving naked in the cold.

Posted

i have a complete tri gear if you are looking for one??