Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tailwheel Tension Springs

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Not sure how much tension you are supposed to have on the tailwheel springs.Where I have them now there is a little slack to where the wheel does not turn imediately when the rudder starts to turn.If I tighten one more link then you get quite a bit of tension on rudder pedals before the rudder comes up against the stops.Dont know if these pics will show anything but this is the set up I have. Thanks Randy

post-104-12895839039052_thumb.jpg

post-104-12895843875571_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not sure how much tension you are supposed to have on the tailwheel springs.Where I have them now there is a little slack to where the wheel does not turn imediately when the rudder starts to turn.If I tighten one more link then you get quite a bit of tension on rudder pedals before the rudder comes up against the stops.Dont know if these pics will show anything but this is the set up I have. Thanks Randy

I have the same issue... One link and they are loose or too tight. I am going to make a new bar that is bolted to the rudder that will offset just a hair so I can have the proper tension on the springs. I like it a little loose so it will go to full caster easier, but not so loose that it will go full caster when you dont want it to (see the video I posted). So, you either run them loose and have damn good brakes so you can hold the track of the airplane on brakes alone, or you run the chains tighter so you will have positive steering on the tail wheel no matter what. I chose to get the better brake pedals (they are in the mail now) and masters so I can run them loose and have great braking power!

:BC:

Posted

Randy it's sort of personal preference. I've ran about 10 different spring set ups trying to get one I'm happy with and finally just quit screwing with it. When your first starting out tighter is probably better. You can manipulate the chains a little bit to take up some slack. turning the chains 180 degrees that will take up a little slack.

Posted

Randy it's sort of personal preference. I've ran about 10 different spring set ups trying to get one I'm happy with and finally just quit screwing with it. When your first starting out tighter is probably better. You can manipulate the chains a little bit to take up some slack. turning the chains 180 degrees that will take up a little slack.

Sounds like I will run them a little on the tighter side as I think my brakes are going to suck.That will probably be my next big investment,good brakes, although Leni I liked your video,thats one of my better landings..........

Posted

I tightened up my chains recently. My rudder stops are ground back too far, making the tailwheel come loose too quickly. Now with the chains tighter, this isn't so pronounced.

I also at the same time switched to compression from tension springs. That was a great change and I highly recommend it. I lost springs from the chains a couple of times. Talk about wake-up! Try steering with no connection to the tailwheel - Full time swivel! Wow somebody shit my pants!!!

Posted

May I ask the # of the compression springs and who sells them?

Thanks,

Joe

Posted

I was just wondering about this the other day. I tightened up the springs so that they have a little compression to them and realized that the tailwheel doesn't go to full castoring as easily now. I think for the time being I like them a little tighter since it's better controllability on the ground, but I did like it going to full castor to turn around easier. I think I just need to make sure I don't have to turn around. Our field has the only taxiway exit/entrance to the runway right at about the midway point. That means I just have to be able to land in about 1200' and I'm good.

Posted

Some folks are abandoning the tailwheel chains and springs altogether. They are running larger tires that would shimmy if easily steerable and are adding enough friction to stop shimmy and calling it good. The tailwheel just steers by brute force of braking and back stick pressure.

Posted

I can tell you I will never be one of those that abandon the springs all together, at least not on this plane. I've flown others that I would okay with them being that way. This is not one of them. Since the brakes on these planes aren't the greatest to start with and the fact that I'm running 8.00x6 tires they are okay for steering on the ground but I don't want to have to rely on them when encountering a good crosswind as my only way to steer during landings. Just my opinion, I suppose those that want to put on a show and loose a couple ounces off the tail of their plane are free to do so!

Posted (edited)

Not sure if this video has been posted here but when I replaced my tail wheel springs, I followed the directions of this video and my set-up works perfect. 

Edited by jerrytex

Posted

Great video. That helps tremendously. I guess I need to slacken mine off a bit. His explanation of why it won't go past the detent is exactly what mine is doing. Luckily that's a quick easy fix!

Thanks for posting that up. Wish I had a tailwheel that was even about half that size and pneumatic!

Posted

Thanks for the video, I had not seen that and it makes perfect sense as explained! I currently have a bit of slack in my chains but I will be double checking to see if it's correct.